sickly looking heffer

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by chma4, May 1, 2005.

1. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

I got my 1st 2 calves today. A heffer and a bull. The bull is freindly and really cute. The heffer is about the ugliest looking thing I have ever seen and wont let me touch her. She has snots hanging out of her nose, is all scruffy and half her face is BALD and pink. She is covered in poop and I am really worried that she wont make it. What should I do. Both of their stools are normal and they are running around but she almost seems to pant like a dog every now and then. Someone help!!!

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Bald and pink? Sounds like lice, or something else. I would have someone look at that, and treat it. That is not normal as you know.

Now as far as pneumonia, one sign that is the most obvious and it clued us in, was off-feed. When an animal goes off feed something is wrong. We had 4 Jerseys come down with pnuemonia, there was no dull appearance at first, nasal discharge, they would not eat or drink. So the vet came, took their temps and they were all above normal, he listened and said they have pneumonia. If that calf is running around, acting lively, an animal sick with pneumonia would rather lay down and rest, their breathing capacity is limited. It's mouth open could be a respritory condition, or it is not used to it. I've seen calves run around and breathe heavy, I breathe heavy too, you get tired. BUT it might be as I said, respritory. But that balding needs to be treated, you don't want whatever it is, to spread.

Jeff

3. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

I can hardly get near this animal let alone take her temp. I could try when my husband gets home. She did take a bottle last night and she nibbled at grain. She seems to be grazing. When the guy dropped her off he said that she had gotten wet and that she rubbed herself raw. It just didnt seem right. She was practically free and only 2 months old so I cant really complain. Like I said the male is really cute and looks pretty good. Just dont want her to die, although she is the ugliest little cow I ever did see.

4. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

she is rubbing her self raw cause she has lice.scruffines is a sign of worms the snot can be from worms as well as pnemonia, i would use a good pour on wormer, which will get rid of external parasites, read on package, if this is to be a milker make sure its a dairy safe product.

5. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Its not unusual to see a young bucket fed calf with the fur missing on its face, they don't like the dried up milk replacer stuck in their fur, and rub themselves raw getting it off.
    And I agree with the others, lots of curly scruffy hair tells me she has worms.
    she may also have the beginnings of pneumonia.
    Good luck