Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3acres cut Monday around noon with sickle mower( no conditioner)( no tedder)
Just a side delivery rake.going into round bails
No rain in forecast ( highs in low 80's)
Rake 2 times when?

·
Registered
90 Posts
3acres cut Monday around noon with sickle mower( no conditioner)( no tedder)
Just a side delivery rake.going into round bails
No rain in forecast ( highs in low 80's)
Rake 2 times when?
Depends on how heavy your hay is. we would rake ours tomorrow and bale on thursday.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Depends on thickness of hay. Dew content overnight, etc. We'd probably rake once this afternoon (3ish. whenever it's hottest) Then second time tomorrow early afternoon. Bale late afternoon.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Depends on thickness of hay. Dew content overnight, etc. We'd probably rake once this afternoon (3ish. whenever it's hottest) Then second time tomorrow early afternoon. Bale late afternoon.
We have gone to only raking once. Saves alot of time and fuel.

·
Registered
173 Posts
We have gone to only raking once. Saves alot of time and fuel.
Ya, Sometimes we can too if it's dry enough. Usually it's not tho. Gotta get both sides dry. Usually we only get highs of 35c
This summer was highs of 45c so we were able to get away with raking once. It was so much better.
Also bought a new swather. Highly highly highly recommend a disc bine over a sickle bar!!

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,419 Posts
^ Us too! We made a profit reselling our sickle bar for a used disc instead.

·
Registered
90 Posts
we ;have a disc mower and a mower/conditioner. use them for different types of hay. usually the conditioner mows the alfalfa and the discmower mows the grass.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, thanks
I didn't want to destroy it by over raking since it's tender( somewhat new growth- not thick)
I'm going to rake it with this old side delivery and my model b today at 4 then once more tomorrow 3-4 hrs before baling...
I know a tedder/ better rake would be much better but this is all I have!
Thanks Matt
Tire Wheel Plant Tractor Vehicle

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have a moisture meter and storms coming Thursday night, Friday, Saturday so it's got to be baled Thursday around 4-5 pm.
I'm going to use it to feed our 2 cows going to butcher first part of November so it'll be used up first ( probably only have them in bale at most for 3 weeks) what should it feel like in hands?
Thanks Matt

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't have a moisture meter and storms coming Thursday night, Friday, Saturday so it's got to be baled Thursday around 4-5 pm.
I'm going to use it to feed our 2 cows going to butcher first part of November so it'll be used up first ( probably only have them in bale at most for 3 weeks) what should it feel like in hands?
Thanks Matt
We dont have a moisture meter either. go out to the windrow and pick up a handful...shake it...it should rattle. take a few pieces and twist them. they should break after 3 twists. thats how we do it..

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
We always used old cycle bar mowers, pulled behind a john Deer B. Our mowers were wheel powered, originally pulled by horses. My grand dad mowed with a team of mules.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I read a lot about dangers of too high moisture in alfalfa hay due to mold/ barn fires ( this is grass hay not alfalfa).
At this point I have to bale it tomorrow or loose it completely. ( If I have to I'll unroll it on my fenced in pastures immediately so it can't grow mold, no way it's going in any barn)
Anyone ever do this so time/ gas was not wasted,? ( Probably only be 5 round bales so I can use quickly)
Thanks Matt

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok, I read a lot about dangers of too high moisture in alfalfa hay due to mold/ barn fires ( this is grass hay not alfalfa).
At this point I have to bale it tomorrow or loose it completely. ( If I have to I'll unroll it on my fenced in pastures immediately so it can't grow mold, no way it's going in any barn)
Anyone ever do this so time/ gas was not wasted,? ( Probably only be 5 round bales so I can use quickly)
Thanks Matt

What are you feeding it to? we often bale round bales a little damp. the cows eat it fine. last weekend we had a 4 acre patch that had to be baled because of rain coming in. it wasnt dry. and we couldnt round bale it due to a bad tire on the baler. so we used our small square baler and did it up..took it home and spread it out. it was heating in only an hour. we just broke open the bales and fed it to the cows as fast as we could. hope you get yours made!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts