Sickle mower

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Rob30, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

Haying season starts today. Are there ways of adjusting a sickle mower to cut better? I have a JD #8 with serated knives. Last year I found the trefoil fields hard to cut. The mower would get plugged all the time. Can you sharpen up the knives, a gaurd?
    I replaced a gaurd yesterday and the dealer told me to replace all the gaurds and knives if I want it to cut bbetter. It cuts mixed fields fine, just the trefoil field that is a problem. I think the dealer just wants to make easy money.

2. gspig

gspig Well-Known Member

Make sure all the sections on your knife are in good condition. Check to see how the sections meet the rock guards. If there is a lot of space between the bottom of the section and the plate on the rock guard, you will have a hard time cutting soft material. There should be several hold down clamps along the cutter bar. Adjust them by removing shims or, if you are lucky, you may be able to hammer them down.

3. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

also check timing of ecentric. the sections should fully centered into the guards before the ecentric reverses.

check the lead of the bar. the cutter bar should lead or point forward about 2 inches per 6 feet. this depends on how loose and how stressed the equipment is. the result is that under full load the cutter could be stressed to 90 degrees from line of travel.

i used to sharpen,,,not i just bolt on new sections.

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Inspect all gaurds. Replace those missing or that have top above sickle knives broken away. Inspect for the stationary cutter blades which are attached to gaurds just below sicklebar sections. You may sharpen sickle sections with a small handheld wheel grinder. Inspect every sickle section to see if the rivets or bolts holding them on are loose. This is a common fault produced by wear and is corrected by tightening or replacing rivets or bolts.
    For heavy Trefoil, try slowing ground speed and running Pto just above normal PTO speed. Wiry, thick Trefoil is hard cutting with any sickle type mower.

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Best setup is serrated ledger plates & smooth sickle; or under-serrated sickle sections.

If your sickle is serrated on the top, can't really sharpen it. The other 2 types you can.

Top serrated does like to bunch up some crops & cause problems.

--->Paul