Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twin Lambs, Male/female on first year ewe.Ewes fed cracked corn & alfalfa. At 3 weeks the twins became lethargic we had a couple cooler nights so I gave them 1cc Pen (eve) then 1 cc the next day (am/pm) of the following day both were back to normal and remained normal for the week until a week ago Sunday when I found the ewe lamb on her side in the barn totally congested. The night before at cheroes they seemed ok.
I took her home where i could watch her and gave her a 1 cc LA 200, and tubed her that evening 2x getting about 4 ox in her each time. She made it through the night but was still off here feet she just started back on her feet yesterday (although she isn't quite able to right herself if on her side) . She is attentive, has found her voice again but getting a bottle in her is difficult she chews and swallows, some days prefers to drink from a bowl but can only get 2 oz in her at feeding 3 on a good feeding.
The ram lamb seemed okon Sunday but lethargic, I gave him 1 cc of LA 200 sunday afternoon. By Monday morning he was in fever, trembling, spinning circles. We thought it was a reaction to the LA so we charcoaled him , and he settled down. But wasn't doing great so I pulled him and brought him home. Monday 30th dueto teh trembles I didn't give him anything.. On Tuesday May 1 he was stable but appears to be blind. He walks the outside perimeter of the fence. He will take a bottle and I can get 6-8 oz per feeding in him. On May 3 Wednesday he was in fever again and having seizures. I gave him 1cc pen and 3 cc Vit. B and he settled down.
Both have done well since Wednesday , I have been giving them both 1 cc penam/pm - 2 cc vit b 1x day. Today I also gave nutri drench to both 4ml. Today I was a few hours late on the pen and his fever flared up again, he had a couple small seizures . I dosed him with the pen, Vit B and 1.5 ccof BOSE(Selenium //Vit E) e is back to walking the perimeter.
My thought is polio due to the corn I was feeding the ewe ( although the other 5 and their lambs have no issues) . Vets in these parts are not sheep folk, and typically answer with "euthanize". Being the media gives us farmers a bad rap about not caring for our animals I am trying all I can do.
Looking for suggestions on the rams condition (seizures) and the ewes stubborness to take more than 3 oz when its only 4 x day. She has got to need more than that.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
From you description, including the blindness, I'm thinking Polioencephalomalacia, where thiamine in the gut is broken down by bacteria before it can be absorbed. Thiamine (Vit.B1) injections early on in the disease gives the best results.

Since we changed over to metrics some years back, I've forgotten what a cc is in comparison to a ml. so maybe your vets can at least tell you how much they will need. Usually it is given every 6 hours for the first day, then daily for up to four days.

Without seeing the animals, I can't state categorically that's what you're looking at but does sound very likely.

Hope it works out well,
Cheers,
Ronnie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts