Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you have a sick room set up....I think this is a must have .

Have you prepared your 'sick room' for a pandemic outbreak possibility?

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/046912_sick_room_pandemic_outbreak_Ebola.html#ixzz3DZjCotwV

(NaturalNews) With news this past week that some scientists believe that the Ebola virus which is currently ravaging West Africa could go airborne, now is the time to think about constructing your own "sick room" to prepare yourself and your family -- and your home -- beforehand. A sick room will help you contain the disease and will go along way toward keeping the virus from spreading.

As reported by Tess Pennington at ReadyNutrition.com, the best choice for a sick room is a bedroom or some other room that is separate from the rest of your home. "Ensure that the room has good lighting, a window that opens, and easy access to a personal bathroom with a sink and running water," Pennington advises.

The most important aspect is, of course, preventing yourself from being exposed to the Ebola virus -- or any other deadly contagious disease -- in the first place. That should include making sure that "communal areas" like kitchens, bathrooms and the like are always cleaned thoroughly with a good disinfectant, on a daily basis, to avoid spreading germs.

"Towels, water bottles, drinking glasses, and other personal care items used by the sick person, should not be used by other family members," Pennington wrote. "Other preventative measures for the sick room could be made ahead of time to make the room ready before it is needed."

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/046912_sick_room_pandemic_outbreak_Ebola.html#ixzz3DZjdM8bQ

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,811 Posts
Good question! I really hadn't thought about that. DH and I have some time to ourselves this weekend....that would be a good question for us to ponder!

My first thought is our living room would be easy to "wall" off. We live in an old house and it would have originally been the parlor, so a quick curtain and it is an isolation area. There is a 1st floor 1/2 bath, so that would be for the "sick". That 1/2 bath is also the laundry room....so everything "dirty" could be containing in that location. 2nd floor bathroom would be for the "well" people. It is possible to wall off/curtain off the 1st floor bathroom and have it only connected to the "sick room"...so we could "suit up" on the healthy side and enter the sick side for patient care, laundry, and meal delivery. That would leave the kitchen and dining room untouched for the well to use. The school room would be divided in 1/2, but the front door would still be accessible from the "well side". The more I think about it the better I think this oddly laid out house would work for such situations.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
When our daughter had swine flu a few years ago, I closed off one bedroom for her, and I was the only person to go in and out. We didn't have a bathroom that could be just hers, so I saturated everything she touched in there with Lysol spray. I used a N95 mask when I was with her and used hand sanitizer every time I left her room. None of the rest of us got it, so I'm mildly confident I could keep most diseases contained that way. Ebola, though.....I don't know. :eek:

After that episode, I did give more thought to having supplies for illness - most of my medical preps are geared towards injury. I bought some hospital gowns, some waterproof pads for the bed, extra sheets, and assembled what I call a "sick pack" that I can grab if someone falls ill. I'm prepared for vomit, diarrhea, fever, chills, dehydration, bathing in bed, and I have a very few pain killers from oral surgery. I even bought a baby bottle that can be used to administer liquids to someone too sick to sit up or use a straw.

It's smart to plan what you'd do if flu or plague or ebola came to your family!

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I used a clear zipper bag like blankets come in, and filled it up. Some extra sheets from Goodwill, and I bought the hospital gowns and bed pads from assistedlivingstore.com. I mixed up some snack sized ziplocks of hydration powder (salt, sugar, pinch of baking soda) and several bottles of water to mix it with, added in a flashlight, ear thermometer, some hot-hands and a couple of those chemical ice packs, baby wipes, can of Lysol spray, bottle of hand sanitizer, snack bags (labeled with med name and dosage) of Tylenol, Pepto Bismol, Tums, anti-diarrheal meds, throat lozenges, anti nausea pills (meclizine), the baby bottle, several masks and nitrile gloves, notebook and pen for keeping track of fevers and med dosages, and put it all in a small trash can with several trash bags can to hold vomit and waste. The only thing I haven't added that I forgot about was a watch, in case the power is off and I need to keep track of time.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
I'm thinking a large tent in the backyard set up like a mini hospital for sick patients. After we quarantine ourselves, a second tent for anyone who leaves the house to stay in for 3 weeks.
One person will care for the sick and will stay in the second tent so as not to break quarantine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for the above ideas. I also have a 'sick' kit but realize I need to improve it :/
Ok serious ?. What does one do with the waste from sick person? Can I burn all the disposals? Will burning destroy the virus?
Also what about the human waste? Don't wish to add to humanure pile, worried about it going into the septic system and if burying it, isn't that just adding to possible resurgence of the virus?
Yes, I understand that hospitals & immediate care systems use the sewer systems yet I wonder if the waste is just going to the treatment plant as usual or is there a special treatment system utilized before the waste is pumped to sewer systems.
Probably over thinking this (as usual for me) yet I do wonder.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
What does one do with the waste from sick person? Can I burn all the disposals? Will burning destroy the virus?
Also what about the human waste? Don't wish to add to humanure pile, worried about it going into the septic system and if burying it, isn't that just adding to possible resurgence of the virus?
We'd burn any disposables, because the virus would be killed by the heat. For sheets and bed pads, I'd wash them with bleach and maybe even iron them - heat destroys viruses and bacteria.

For human waste, I guess dumping bleach on them would work. I hadn't thought much about that, but you wouldn't want to keep it around untreated! If it's winter outside and below freezing, burying it would kill the virus. Maybe there's a way to cook it in the sun enough to kill the viruses, too.

·
Registered
637 Posts
In all reality, that's something I have to do much much more thinking about. If I repeatedly call in, I could get fired. If I quit without notice, I could have a very difficult time getting another job. And there's that pesky thing that I feel nursing is my calling.... and if I don't do it (especially when TSHTF) who will??

By the time Ebola (which no one has mentioned, but I"m guessing that's what we're thinking) hits us, it will be too late except to maybe quarantine yourself. TPTB will not admit it's here, and by the time gossip gets out in a major way, it will have already spread like wildfire.

I'd like to believe that the government would close down public gatherings (school, theaters, malls, churches, funerals, concerts, etc) and that the public would comply, but I doubt it. If my family could be quarantined, I might continue to work.

Like I said, I seriously need to sit down and come up with guidelines for myself. If it hits within our state, I will ________________; if it is within the next county, I will _____________________. If it hits our county, and I have not self-isolated, it's already too late.

ETA: I'm thinking of wearing a mask all flu season. Even though I take a flu shot, it may still be a good idea. Also, if you start seeing shortages of PPE (like there is now of sterile normal saline), that would raise my personal "alert level".

·
Registered
112 Posts
I wish to thank each & everyone's input on this subject. I too am rethinking about when to isolate, etc.
Next ?. Would any of you post a quarantine sign if you suspect anyone in your group was ill? Would you post a quarantine sign to discourage 'outsiders' from coming on your property?
Would posting quarantine sign create the opposite effect...vulnerability shown to undesirables?
Again, I really go OCD on certain things & unfortunately viruses (any/all) trigger my overthinking the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
Would any of you post a quarantine sign if you suspect anyone in your group was ill? Would you post a quarantine sign to discourage 'outsiders' from coming on your property?
Would posting quarantine sign create the opposite effect...vulnerability shown to undesirables?
Interesting question. I would think in the early stages of an outbreak that putting up a quarantine sign would definitely keep people away. However if the illness causes a breakdown of society (which might be regional), it might invite trouble.

Lots of good ideas in this thread.

Dawn

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Well, there's just me here, but I figure I might have to take care of my son and his family or maybe my neighbors, who are in their seventies and also care for her elderly mother with Alzheimer's.

I have a fairly good sized bedroom at the end of the hall that has its own bathroom, which is also where the laundry is, so it could serve as a quarantine area. Not sure what I'd do about the normal laundry, guess I could do it by hand if necessary rather than exposing it to the "sick" area until the danger is gone. I do have wash tubs with a wringer, scrub board, plunger, and drying racks, as well as a clothesline, so it wouldn't be too much of a hardship, and the sick room laundry would need the washer and dryer more, assuming there's still electricity and water to run them. If not, I'd use the wash tub set up for the sick room laundry and do the regular stuff in a 5-gallon bucket or the bathtub.

I've taken over the closet in that bedroom and converted it to all shelves, and it holds all my medical supplies, other than a basic first aid kit that is in the other bathroom. It's stocked with bandages, wound cleansers, antiseptics, soaps, hand sanitizer, pain relievers, surgical instruments, masks, gloves, lap pads, sponges, bed pads, sheets, splints, casting materials, electrolyte packs, gowns, trash bags, cleansers, bleach, bed pan, sponge bathing tub and supplies, new toothbrushes/dental supplies, new hairbrush/comb, toiletries, etc., pretty much everything MomofFour said and then some, lol. I consider it my "hospital"

I've had good luck just by searching for medical supplies online, EMT supplies or even veterinary supplies to obtain the items I need. Each one is different and has different pricing and shipping charges. I use some for one thing, others for something else.

I would try to burn everything I could and if that wasn't possible I'd bury it just inside the wooded area I have, mixing it with dirt and leaves, hoping to "dilute" some of the toxicity and help it compost better. If the ground was too hard to dig, I'd just set aside a barrel with some kind of cover as "contaminated", set well away from the house at the wooded area, and dump the stuff in there and cover it with bleach until something else could be done, using double mask, gown and gloves to handle it, of course.

As far as the quarantine, at the first sign of trouble I'd stay home. Of course, by then it might be too late, as Moldy said, but I don't get out in crowds much, so I might do okay. I work at home, so that could continue assuming there wasn't a societal or grid breakdown. I have plenty of medical supplies and food. I have about 100 gallons of stored water and numerous filters, with access to pond water if nothing else, which could be purified. I could probably stay holed up away from everyone else for six months if necessary, maybe even longer.

I would NOT put up a quarantine sign. Any of the responsible neighbors would be told, and anyone else doesn't need to know, and I feel it would only invite trouble. No one knows the extent of my prepping, and I'd like to keep it that way as long as possible. We do have some meth heads in the area, and I see no reason to lay out an open invitation to them, not to mention any roaming trouble makers if there is a societal breakdown, as well as not giving the government any reason to look at me more closely.

Sorry this is so long, lots to cover, lol! :)

P.S. I like the idea of ironing of the linens as well that MomofFour mentioned. I also stocked up on PPEs with the H1N1 virus, so the shortage now hasn't affected me, although I will pick up extras as I can.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Puddle jumper...yes I thought what if it was me who becomes ill yesterday :/
Printed everything regarding how to care for influenza & packed it on top of containers labeled sickroom. That's all I can do. Very few folks in my group have the capability (new mothers with babies, elderly and a couple of he men type that can't handle vomit!!!) what's left is 2 women who would take charge of providing/scheduling (if there was a quarantine) & one young person (13 yrs old.) so basically I have to ensure that I take very good care of myself & have prepped / stored enough for at least 3 months (do have 6 months - 1 yr in certain supplies so still working on the 'holes')

1 - 20 of 24 Posts