Sick Rabbit

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tiffann4k, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

This morning when I went to the barn I found my mini rex buck huddled in the corner, no runny eyes, nose, stools are fine, he is just very lathargic. He ate and drank fine yesterday but wont eat today. I brought him in the house to warm him up a bit and he is still very still and just doesnt look right.....I know I havent given much info but can anyone help ??

2. Lilandra

Lilandra talk little, listen much

how old is the poor dear?
    Did something in your barn spook the rabbit?
    Do you have birds that roost nearby where droppings could get into the cage?
    Could it be a hairball? Do you feed citrus fruits or those mango vitamins?

Hold him near your ear and listen to him breathe, he might have a cold that doesn't show runny eyes or nose.

Offer the little one some pedilite, and keep him comfortable, a healthy rabbit can get over an illness quickly.

hope all works out well for you

3. Tiffann4k

He is about 2 months old. Something may have spooked him in the barn but we havent had problems with anything out there
    no not birds near him
    I have not given him anything out of the ordinary ( occasional lettuce or cucumber and then the regular pellets & hay)

He started eating earlier and seems a little better, still not his spunky self but he is eating and drinking fine now so I guess thats a start

4. prairiegirl

prairiegirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I can tell you what has worked for us. Since you don't see any obvious symptoms this might help him.

We give the rabbit a papaya enzyme tablet. Just break it in half and he should eat it. We try to do this routinely. Papaya Enzyme is just a natural digestive enzyme.

Another thing if the rabbit won't eat pellets - we sometimes offer a bit of oatmeal or banana.

These are just things we've learned through the county rabbit club. Most of the time we are able to nurse the rabbits back to good health.

Good luck.

prairiegirl

5. Tiffann4k

Thanks for the advice :)

I forgot to update this thread, the rabbit is doing fine now :) not sure what the problem was but will remember all the advice for future reference :)