Sick pregnant ewe..help

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Ramon, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Ramon

Ramon Active Member

I have a very pregnant Katahdin ewe (in last weeks of pregnancy) that is laying down and very listless (for the past day and a half). All my other sheep are totally fine.
    She tried to get up every few hours but then starts to wobble and lies back down. I was a able to feed her several cups of sweet feed (very favorite treat) but that's about it. Are there any basic things that I can check to diagnose what's wrong. I'm calling a vet tomorrow if things don't get better but any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ramon

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Call the vet today. She needs an energy suppliment now and a Vitamin AD and Vitamin B complex now, and probably calcium as well. Might as well get dosages etc. straight from a vet (which I'm not) without a delay. I can tell you the ewe needs help now, although her eatign a bit means its likely not too late.

3. Ramon

Ramon Active Member

As an interim measure, since we didn't have a any concentrated vitamins on hands, we took 1 pregnancy vitamin supplement (for humans, which we have since my wife is pregnant) and 2 calcium pills (for humans), crushed them with a mortar and pestle, added water and poured down the ewes throat.
    Then she lay back down (it was already about 6PM).

I got up this morning, went out to check on her, and she was nowhere to be seen. I called the sheep and she was the first one to come a running toward me, like nothing had been wrong. Wow, totally amazing. So thanks for the insight into how to help out!!!
    Ramon