Sick pig

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by ravenstark, Jan 26, 2005.

1. ravenstark

ravenstark Member

I'm new to pigs so I'm not sure how dumb this is going to sound.

I have two hampshire X yorkshires. One, Cartman, gets coughing fits and limps. He seems a little sluggish but eats well. Yesterday he seemed to be getting better, never heard him cough in the 6 hours I was near him. Today, when he coughed semi-loose stool came out. He coughs for maybe 30 seconds every half hour or so.

I've been giving him tetracycline in his feed according to the label directions, for four days now. I want to get a better look at his leg and doctor it if need be but he won't let me near him. He will allow the foot to lightly touch the ground but he won't put any weight on it. I tried using this snare kind of thing on his snout but it just comes right off. I read somewhere that that is the proper use of a snare. Is it?

How agressive should I be in catching him? He weighs about 140 pounds (hard to tell for sure since he doesn't like being handled). How do I keep from being bitten and if I do get bitten, how bad will it likely be? Will the other pig attack me if Cartman squeals? How likely am I to mess his leg up worse trying to catch him? Is it worth trying?

The other pig is fine.

2. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

If it were me, I'd (talk Paul into) herd him with a board (sturdy sheet of plywood about 2'X3', cut some ovals in top for hand holds) and a bucket of raw milk or other treat (our piggers love milk!) into a smaller area where we could pin him against the wall (away from other animals) and give him a shot of anti-biotic and possibly get a look at that leg.

It would be at least a two person operation.

3. Lolli Pop

Lolli Pop Member

I agree. That's how we would do it as well. They can and will bite! It WILL HURT :waa: They have 8 very needle like teeth and a lot of cartlidge in their mouth! So be very very careful! It would be best if you can pen him tight enough that he can't turn around, and had very little room to move. (think farrowing crate) Best Wishes! PnG

4. ravenstark

ravenstark Member

Thank you both for the advice. I especially like the idea of the cattle squeeze shoot like thing. I guess if I put some feed in it, he'll go in without too much trouble.

His cold has been better the last two days, but he's still limping. I'll have to see what I can rig up.

Thanks again.