Sick Pig

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by FarmerJeff, Apr 22, 2006.

1. FarmerJeff

FarmerJeff Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

We bought some tamworth piglets at the beginning of April (3 months old at that time) The smallest one has been growing right along with the bigger pigs, but hasn't been thriving. Since yesterday, she's stopped eating. Doesn't even want to have anything to do with the milk/grain mush this morning! She's lethargic and now she has the shivers(fever?) Her poop yesterday was kind of hard & dark like she was constipated, but still pooping. We're new to pigs, what can we do to help her? Any thoughts? Thanks!!

2. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

could be pneumonia. Could be lots of things. If it were my pig, I would mix Tylan 200 and biomycin and give it. Of course if you are opposed to antibiotics, that won't work. How much does a 3 month Tamworth weigh? I have given a baby pigs 3cc of each. Mixed in the same syringe. You will need more than one injection site. The neck muscles of course, aspirate on the syringe to make sure you aren't in a vein. I would also give 1/2 cc of banamine. The dosing on that is 1cc/100#. This is like Advil, a non steroidil anti inflammatory/fever reducer.

3. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

not that I know anything about pigs, poor little thing, but I read their system is similar to humans, as far as blood circulation and digestive apparatus are concerned. anything sick, animal or human gets a dose of colloidal silver first off. Repeat every so often. It is a natural antibiotik and cheap. It has worked on pinkeye within a couple of hrs. cleared up within a day. Worth a try.

4. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

http://www.thepigsite.com/diseaseinfo/problemsolver.php
    The above link is a site that I have used in the past. It may take a while to figure out and narrow down what it is that is wrong with your little one, but I hope it works. I am constantly a proponent of figuring out the problem prior to simply giving meds. It is always too easy to reach for the antibiotic bottle. Sometimes, they just get sick like we do. Antibiotics won't help a flu. Try to keep water in the pig. a little molasses mixed in to the water sometimes helps.