Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My pig is sick. It seemed fine yesterday, but today when I went out it didn't come running and now it just lays there and has all day. It has been wet and rainy the last several days. No coughing. Maybe the runs?

Any ideas on what I should give it?

I have Bio-Mycin, but know that discolors the muscle where injected. I was wondering if there was another medicine I could give that wouldn't do that? Or if I should give something totally different than that?

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
I would like to help as I am sure some others would also. But can you give some more info.? How old, other symptoms, weight, male, female. Lots of possibilities when it come to a pig being sick??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a barrow, and it is 5 months old, around 150-175 lbs. It doesn't have the runs, and the other pig with it is fine. My husband made it get up, and tried giving it food with Maple Syrup, but it didn't touch it and just laid back down. Its very slow and lethargic.
I didn't notice anything else different about it, and I observe them everyday.
???

·
Registered
904 Posts
Grrr, I had a long response typed up, but the site dropped me.
We had a boar much like this a couple weeks ago. The vet came out and diagnosed severe abdominal pain from unknown causes. She ruled out respiratory, parasite, poisonous plants, said his heart and lungs sounded good, but his temp was 104.2. We showed her the wild cherries we'd been giving the pigs. She said they weren't poisonous, but that she had seen an impaction from the pits in a horse once. She also noted the boar's dropping seemed very dry, which might be from the pellets I feed, as they are high in fiber. They could have caused an impaction if he wasn't drinking enough water. (Sometimes when there's a swing in barometric pressure, I know horses may not drink enough.)
Anyway, to cover all out bases, she gave him a mix of antibiotic (draxxin), electrolyte, activated charcoal, banamine, vitamin B complex. By morning he was doing better and was near 100% by that evening.
How is your pig doing today? Can you get some banamine and/or activated charcoal in him?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts