sick pig spontaneous abortion

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Matt NY, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Matt NY

Matt NY Well-Known Member

Pig has been off her feed for a couple days. Thought she might have gotten something bad to eat as she has thrown up. She seems alert but doesn't eat and yesterday I noticed a discharge and gathered with some bedding for a closer look and could detect what are pretty certainly fetuses. I can pick out the eye and some shape. They are around finger nail size. I AI'ed her a month ago, at least I know she caught.

If this happens will she lose them all? What can I do for her?

2. Matt NY

Good news is that she is eating a bit. I gave her a little corn and she ate most of it.

3. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Matt,
    I'm no expert by any means ,,, but as far as the spontanous miscarriage
    im quite sure if that is what happened she did lose them all. as far as what you can do for her ,, that i cannot answer except to make she she is eating & drinking ,,
    they do make products with electrolites & vitimans you can mix in her water or feed as a top dressing for her feed. this will at least keep her energy level up while she is not feeling good. sorry i dont have a more definitive answer
    Rick

4. Matt NY

Thanks for the reply. I knew someone would have some idea. She is feeling better and close to 100%. I figured that if she lost a couple they'd all be gone. Hope that she cycles back soon. No spring sales for me. I planned on keeping a few to breed anyway so very late farrowing isn't a huge loss. I got the semen on sale since it was off season and now it is back to full price.

5. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

Just curious tho Matt, how do you AI her? We have 3 gilts and a boar and would've considered your route with AI if we had known the difficulty of it. Do you have to call the vet out?

A little cider vinegar in her water (2 T. per 20 gallons??) might help too someone told me when one of ours was feeling poor. They said it's ggod for just about every farm animal....

Good luck! Also since the semen was on sale, could that have contributed to the miscarriage? Just curious....

6. Matt NY

Simple do it yourself job. The stuff ain't cheap though.

http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/swine/porkpage/repro/mngt3.htm