Sick Nubian

Discussion in 'Goats' started by glenberryfarm, May 19, 2005.

1. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,
    I have a 2 yr dry Nubian that I kind of rescued a couple of weeks ago. Her hooves were in horrible shape-to the point where she was on her knees. We have been working on them and she is walking better. We wormed her right away.
    But yesterday I noticed her off to herself and laying down a lot. Last night in the stall she was hunched with head down and shivering. I have looked her over and there are no external signs of something like an abcess or infection. She did not eat hay this morning with the others, just hung there.
    I don't believe she got into anything and the small pasture is pretty clean, no toxic plants.
    What does this sound like? I would really appreciate some pointers.
    Thank you
    Faye

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Check her temperature. If it is 103*+ she has a fever which indicates an infection of some sort.

When you gave her the deworming meds, did you also give Probiotics? If not, her rumen may be shutting down. Anytime you give medications of any sort, or if you change the diet, Probios needs to be given a couple of times a day for several days to ensure that the rumen can adjust. The medications kill the bad stuff, but it tends to kill indiscriminently and will take out the good stuff, too - so you have to put it back.

Your local vet or feed store should have Probios. Comes in small paste tubes, big paste tubes and powdered forms. Take her temp first. That will tell you if you also need to start an antibiotic treatment. Butthen get the Probios and dose her, because it sounds like she is uncomfortable.

Could she be bloated? Is she on a new fresh pasture that has ripe geen grass that she isn't used to yet? The hunching makes me wonder...

And then check with your vet if you have a decent one. He or she may be able to get a more positive diagnosis.

Good luck!

Sarah

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Vit.B complex, and red cell or pig paste.....she'll need iron to rebuild sounds like anemia to me. Vit. B will stimulate appetite, pig paste has some probiotics in it...she'll need those too

Also try to get a fecal done by your vet.

4. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Yesterday I gave her Vit B complex and good doses of Probios. She seemed to have more nergy and I saw her nibble some hay. This morning she is still shivering with head down. She is drooling now and her chin is covered with green slime. It is not foaming. She has free access to baking soda.
    What now??

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter