Sick Milker

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Lizza, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

My daughters 4H goat is sick. I need to ask if we need to throw out her milk from the last week. I've been saving it to make feta cheese.

A few days ago we got some teat tape to wean the babies (4 months now) and my daughter started milking her twice a day with the tape left on the rest of the time. Last night when my daughter went down to milk Lilly seemed to not be feeling well and had diarreah. She was due for worming so I wormed her last night with safe-guard (worms aren't bad in my area and this has worked in the past, we don't worm that much). This morning she was listless and didn't want to walk around and looked very sick. Her temp was 99.7. I called the vet and he said he couldn't figure it out and could be a few different things, from mastitis (no symptoms though and no fever, actually has depressed temp) to something that she ate. He didn't think it was milk fever. She doesn't really have too many symptoms. I went and picked up antibiotics that I started this morning, two shots of B vitamins, and something else that now I forgot what it was (about 1 1/2 cc of something clear, long name, I'd have to look it up, it was only the one shot this morning). She does seem to be doing better tonight. The vet wasn't sure she'd make it or not. It has been a long day and I hope she pulls through. We have her wrapped in a blanket and the vet wants us to put her under a heat lamp tonight.

I'll keep you all updated but now I'm wondering if I should toss all that milk in the frig, just to be on the safe side?

2. gryndlgoat

gryndlgoat Well-Known Member

Maybe you could just pasteurize it? It should be safe to use for cheese after that- might not taste as good as made from raw milk but saves you from wasting all that lovely milk?

3. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank You! That is a great idea. The thought of pouring 3 gallons of milk down the drain does seem pretty bad!

What is the best way to pasteurize?

Lilly does seem to be feeling better tonight. She is locked in her own stall. I gave her the second shot of the B vitamins and a second dose of antibiotics. She still has diarreah (we all showered when we came up!) and she has seemed to develop green snot this afternoon. My daughter milked her out (she wasn't happy about that but it had to be done) and we tossed the milk over the hill. She was moving around a little though and looked a little more bright eyed, not glassy and looking like she was ready to keel over any minute. We got her heat lamp on (the blanket was a bad idea, eeewww) and settled for the night. I sure hope we find a better goat in the morning!