Sick Kid??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by IrishCowgirl, Jun 18, 2017.

1. IrishCowgirl

IrishCowgirl Active Member

I have a buckling born late February of this year, and he's always lethargic. He doesn't run around and play with the other kids. The only times he runs are when I have the bottle bucket. He likes to stand by himself a lot. He's not wormy, and I don't see any other symptoms of what could be wrong with him except possibly some labored breathing (I'm not sure that he is laboring when he breathes, but it is louder than the other kids'). Does anybody have any idea what could be wrong with him? He's been this way for as long as I remember having him, but I don't think it's just his personality.

2. mzgarden

mzgarden Well-Known Member

Is he eating Hay and grower grains in addition to the milk? How's his eyesight?

3. IrishCowgirl

IrishCowgirl Active Member

Sorry about the delay....farm work you know. He has a healthy appetite;eats whatever he's offered (hay, milk, vegetable scraps, garden produce). I've not offered him any grower grain. His eyesight seems to be just fine.

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

A whole litany of things could be wrong. Your information is vague and nonspecific - without more information - at best we could hope to point you in the right direction.

An increased respiratory rate or effort (and noise) can mean some sort of chronic respiratory issue but that doesn't really localize it without a stethoscope or physical exam, plus or minus diagnostics. It could be a congenital heart problem, pneumonia or chronic damage from a smouldering pneumonia. It could have been aspiration at birth that he happened to survive. Anything that causes poor oxygenation can be expected to result in poor growth, exercise intolerance, and general ill thrift.

How do you know he's not wormy? What is his weight (and breed?) What size was he at birth? How is his body condition? Any other history with him?

At 4-5 months of age and a buckling, I'm not sure how much you want to work this up. I'd suggest a vet exam at this point. Sure you can take a temp, but a chronic problem is less likely to have a fever. Antibiotics won't help if it's a chronic damage issue that has resolved or has walled itself off effectively and will require a slaughter withdrawal. Being a ill thrift buckling, I'm not sure what your goals are but he should be near slaughter weight already or salvaged now anyways if that is your goal for him. Personally, I wouldn't suggest breeding an ill thrift animal especially if you don't know the cause and he's been that way since birth, but that's your decision in the end.

5. greenTgoats

greenTgoats Well-Known Member

Has he been treated for cocci? Can you get a fecal done? Is he anemic?