Sick Hen- Please Help- Crop bound?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Randy Rooster, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

Shes about 3 years old one of my favorite hens. I noticed her having a tough time standing yesterday and drinking a lot of water- I found her on the floor of the coop this am barely able to stand. When I picked her up I found her crop area very full and hard which is odd for first thing in the am. I ahve heard the term "cropbound" somewhere and wonder if this is what is wrong? If so what should I do? Please help if you can.

Randy

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Surgery. Seriously. Take a razor blade and cut into the side of her crop where the hard mass is. Remove the mass. Sew it closed with white cotton thread or very thin monofilament fishing line.

We had this happen with a racing pigeon.

3. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

Read and follow the information in the following link. It worked for us and the hen tolerated it without any bad after effects.
    http://www.pekinbantams.com/impacted_crop_treatment_two.asp

4. LamiPub

LamiPub Ami

from what I have read an impacted crop can be very serious and you don't act quickly the bird will die. If you caught it early and the bird has not started losing weight or having trouble breathing you can try 2 dropperfuls of mineral oil down the gullet and massage the hard lump to soften once a day. I have been reading alot about it recently and first you have to be sure it is an impacted crop. There is also sour crop (does the bird have foul breath?) and even another condition which is treated with nystatin 1.5 ml twice a day for two weeks. Like the above mentioned shows you how to deal with an impacted crop. If it is too large for the bird to vomit out with your help you will have to do as above mentioned and cut it open. If you don't do this the bird will die. For recovery in addition to the molasses water (1/4 cup molasses to 1 gallon water) a warmed dish of cooked oatmeal or warmed meal of 1 slice grain bread with 1/2 cup buttermilk and 1/8 cup plain yogurt are some recommendations I ran across. If you google impacted crop you will find alot of info.

5. LamiPub

LamiPub Ami

also did you try the posting on the poulty section? there are alot of really informed and experienced poultry owners on there. I have gained alot from them.

6. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

I did post on the poultry forum. I tried the eyedroppers of olive oil today- once this am and once before I put her back in the coop tonite. I dont know if it has helped or not, but she appears to have used the bathroom in the small pen I put her inn today. She also does seem to have a foul smell on her breath. I dont know what that means.

If I have to cut her open_

How large an opening should I make?

Is the crop directly under the skin and is it enclosed in a seperate sack like a stomach?

Will I need to sew both the cut in the crop back up as well as the skin?

Anyone done this before?

Can I give the bird anything for pain?

7. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

There is a layer of skin, then the sack that is the crop.

Gosh it's been years ago. I think my dad sewed the crop first, then the skin.

8. LamiPub

LamiPub Ami

sour crop is a fungal infection...could be from antibiotics or from crop ulcers and food fermenting in the crop. The chicken will have foul breath and usually the crop is swollen but soft and squishy. Plain active yogurt helps and have heard people who use apple cider vinegar, or buttermilk. Google sour crop and you can find alot of info.