sick heifer?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by .netDude, Jul 7, 2005.

1. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

Don't know if I have a problem or not, here is what I know:

Age and breed of the animal:2 yr old, unbred, herford/limousine

Temperature: unk, not restrained

Is it dehydrated (usually in calves)? don't think so

What and how much have you been feeding? Is it still eating and drinking? How long since it has? Mainly fresh pasture, but I do give some cracked corn to try and 'tame' the herd. She eats and drinks apparently normal. Had her on pasture for a little over a week. She came from a farm that didn't have a whole lot of grass, to my pastures that haven't been grazed in probably years.

How is it acting? Lethargic? Active? Able to stand? Head down? Eyes Bright or dull? Uncoordinated? Hunched up when standing? Distended Abdomen? If so, which side or both? Limps?:
    Stays with the herd, is active and appears to be ok.

How is it breathing? Labored? Rapidly? Normally? - like she has a cold, not not really labored.

Any discharge from nose, mouth, elsewhere? What's it look like? Does it smell?
    nose has amber colored dischard, green pasty mucus by the eyes. don't know if it smells.

Any other symptoms? - no. She was one of 8 that I had delivered a week and a half ago, a couple of the others had a cough during the week but appear to be fine now. I'm fairly certain they weren't given shots for shipping fever.

Thanks - Greg

2. .netDude

Do I need to provide more info? Could this just be the result of stress of the move? Should I be worried?
    Thanks.

3. .netDude

FWIW, she's better now. appears to have cleared up.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

How would you describe the hair coat on the heifer? short and slick, wooly and haggard, rough coat, etc.

5. .netDude

a little on the rough side, but not haggard. Does have some sheen, though.

6. agmantoo

I doubt that these animals have been wormed recently. Unless you know otherwise, I am of the opinion that it would be money well spent to deworm them with a pour on ivermectin based product. We still have some decent grazing ahead of us and it would be beneficial to maximize the gain by an efficient animal that is parasite free. Additionally you will get some fly relief for about 30 days and August is usually the worst month for these pests.

7. .netDude

Thanks agmantoo. What's your opinion of this stuff?
    http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=8&paID=1038&sonID=174&productID=2593

The link leads to this product on the tractor supply site:
    Safe-guard dewormer block
    "Medicated Molasses Block Contains Safe-Guard (Fenbendazole) No Roundup, Costly Labor Or Special Equipment Needed Highly Palatable One Block Deworms 16 Head Of 500 Lb. Cattle"

8. agmantoo