sick goats???????

Discussion in 'Goats' started by rockyhill, Sep 18, 2004.

1. rockyhill

rockyhill Member

Several weeks ago I asked for advice about our goats. I recieved alot of good advice. But now hoowever after about two months we are down to three and now the oldest has taken the same as the others. She is still eating but has really lost alot of weight and she has a very nasty end. Her diarrea smells really bad. This morning I checked and the youngest has some diarrea. I have talked to vets and they either don't see goats or they say its coccidiosis. But could it be something else? Our farm stores do not sell nutri-drench or Di-Methox. I just wormed them a few days ago. Any idea???

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

It really sounds like coccidiosis. If you can't find Di-methox by itself, can you find it inside any other medications? Cows and sheep also have problems with cocci - maybe you can find something that works for them and just extrapolate for the goats? It sounds like its time to get creative.

Instead of nutri-drench, you can mix up some gatorade (mine like the lemon-lime flavor), yogurt with active cultures, and honey to give them electrolytes and an energy boost. The active yogurt will help re-populate their guts with good bacteria.

3. GoatTalkr9

GoatTalkr9 Well-Known Member

4. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

Any vet should keep this medication,Dogs get cocci. I would ask the vet or look for Sulmet at the feed store.Then order your Albon from the Foys pidgon supply.They sell albon in a quart size,about 15$.at least you could get them started with the Sulmet.It is for cocci in poultry.They need meds fast.

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Did you worm several weeks ago? What did you use? Did you give it orally?

Diarrhea in adults goats, and those over about 8 months old is rarely cocci. They have really good immunity to cocci by the time they are breeding age, unless severely ill. Diarrhea in older goats is usually worms or nutritional. What are you feeding, are you feeding consistantly? Is she chewing her cud? What color are her gums? White means anemia, which means blood sucking worms or lice.

In our area unless you want to pay a fortune, we order or drugs in from jeffers. Call 1-800-jeffers and get their livestock catalog. The prices are considerably cheaper than feed stores or vets. Vicki

6. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

Just one thing to add here about cocci, Vicki is right, rarely cocci at 8 months, the reason why is because they usually die from cocci by then or else will survive it to be stunted skeltons for several months after. Worms are usually a big culprit in your situation, check for worms and worm them.

Like Vicki asked, What is your feeding program for them, is it possible that they may be eating something that may be causing this?

Bernice

7. 1farmgirl

1farmgirl Well-Known Member

I had one yearling go down with stuff like this and she went down fast. I was told it was barber pole worm? Sucks their red blood cells. I had wormed just three weeks before with safeguard (for goats) but was told that only Cydectin will get this. It worked. Gave her cydectin, red blood cell and a vitamin b complex shot. I didn't think she would make it through the night, that's how bad she was. She did. Then I started giving her red blood cell everyday until she decided she'd had enough and wouldn't let me. Then I had a second young one come up with it. Checked all my goats eyelids better after that and found a couple that were starting to pale and wormed them as well with cydectin. Haven't had any more problems since.

Kathy