Sick Goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by budove, Apr 8, 2006.

1. budove

budove Member

I have 9 Nubian goats 2 have lost there Voice they all have a yellow discharge coming from there eyes. 5 are pregnet. I was wondering is this something serios or is this a cold that I can just let run its cors. They all still eat fine and drink. I called the vet this morning and the would not see them they just said give them pennicillen. These are the same people that when I give a fecal sample to can only find 1 egg and want me to worm my goat I do nothing and 2 months later get the same results and they tell me to worm them. I dont if the DE in the feed ceeps it down that low I see know need to pump them full of cemicals. and I dont want to give a bunch of pennicillen if they can get better on there own. I woory about them building up a resistance to meds if I realy need them later. Any ideals?

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Sometimes they'll get the eye discharge just from being out in the wind or dust. I wouldn't rush to treat them if this is their only symptom, and I wouldn't use penicillin. You can put an ointment in their eye if you like. There also is a puffer for pinkeye you might try. If it gets worse, I use LA200, but I don't know if you can use it for pregnant goats, and I wouldn't rush to use it in milking goats, either. Not sure what the withdrawal time would be. If nothing gets worse, I'd wait and keep an eye on it.

The only time my Nubians get hoarse is when they spend way too much time complaining, like when I wean kids or bring in a new goat or something. Could this be the case?

3. budove

budove Member

Thanks thats what I think I will try. It was the lose of voice that scared me the most but the breathing is not that bad. So I will see what happens and keep an eye on them hopefuly it is just a cold. I can not see what else it could be I have not brought them any where to expose them to anything.