Sick Goat?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cpft1, Mar 16, 2005.

1. cpft1

cpft1 New Member

Female, 9 years old, has little interest in grain or hay, drinks very little water. She is urinating very little and strains at the end of flow. I thought she had a urinary tract infection as there was some blood in urine. Gave her penicillin G, 3cc for one week. The blood was gone and she seemed better, but now is off food and water. Gave her probiotic paste. I am new to this and don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

2. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Do you have a local farm vet to call ?? Take her temperature if you can, and respirations before you call the vet. Call now before the day is over. Perhaps you can put her into the back seat of your car and drive her down to the farm vet this afternoon when they will usually show up at their office at the end of the day. Cheaper than a farm vet call. It really could be anything or nothing at all. But if she hasn't been well for a few days now...something is going on. I don't usually like to just "shoot them up" with anitibiotics if I don't know what is happening. Good Luck and let us know what is happening !!

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

If you had a UTI would the doctor put you on pennicillin? Nope he would put you on those little white sulfa pills (SMTZ) and the vet will give you the same thing for your doe. 3cc is only enough pennicillin for a goat who weighs 50 pounds...how much does your doe weigh. With a UTI you would also be running a fever by the time you saw blood in your urine, what is your does temperature? Always take a temp, anything over 102 unless it's hot out and a herdmate is also over 102 (my black does will be normally 103 during the heat of the summer) than yes you have something going on.

Is she chewing her cud? The pennicillin you gave her is just enough to kill all the good bacteria in her rumen. 5grams of Probios, 3 times a day. Tempt her to eat with some new grass hay, or how about some alfalfa. By nine they are getting older, is she cold? Is she thin? Put a sweatshirt on her, just cut off the sleeves. What color are her gums and eyelids? Pale or white, or healthy and red/pink...she may need to be wormed. Are her feet in good shape? If you do go to the vet with her have him look at her teeth, when older their molars will need some work on them usually, if she has an abscessed or rotted or missing teeth, the molar on the top or bottom that meets with this one grows long, and may need to be ground down, it can be quite painful if it grinds against the gums, especially on the side she cuds on.

Also if she has had a hard life, 9 is very old, know when to say when if she is, sometimes the end of life isn't a severe illness, sometimes they simply give up. Vicki