Sick Goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milking Mom, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

You can mix that baking soda with some vegetable oil, a good size handful of baking soda mixed with about 1 1/2 cups of veg. oil IF you think she is boated. Left side bulged way out and seems to be in pain. They can die from bloat. Unless you are aware of how to do it you will need to have a vet release the air via an incision in the high left flank area. This is used only in case of a true emergency bloat problem.

Otherwise if no obvious signs of bloat and it could possibly be calcium deficiency, I would immediately get some CMPK liquid if you can find it, if not get the gel and mix it with some gatorade to make a drench and get it down the doe. If she is unable to swallow you can tube her or you can get the vet to give her calcium injections. You could give her some propolyne glycol also. Follow up with your vet if you see improvement or get more info on here about her diet at this stage of pregnancy.

If you think it was poisoning from eating something toxic, you could try getting some activated charcoal down her and give her some fluids orally and get a bag of fluids from the vet and put a couple bubbles of fluid under the skin about the size of your fist over each shoulder to try and process the toxins out of her system.

I hope she is ok.

2. greenacres

greenacres Well-Known Member

I was thinking bloat also.

3. keeneye

keeneye New Member

Well she was still alive this morning, I could not belive it. I have never seen an animal so down and survive like she has. I called a Vet and he thinks she has enteritis. He gave her several shots, Im not sure what they were my wife was here and I was at work. He said we might be feeding to much grain. Tonight I gave her another shot of something the vet mixed up, It calls for every 8 hours. I gave her water with a syringe and mixed some baking soda in it. I guess I gave her a pint of water in all. Tommorow Im going to get some pedylite. She is still down not offering to get up. I got her up and walked her around (2 of us), she was burping, I rubbed her stomach, then layed her under a heat lamp. I hope she makes it. I have lived on a farm all my life and have never seen an animal so touchy, I guess is the right word. We switch wormers and do it often. Keep good feed and hay, making sure its not moldy. Trim hoofs the whole works, So I thought. We purchased several high percentage Boar goats last year and thought it might be an additive to raising cows. Well it has been an experince. Finding anyone who can tell you anything including most Vets in this area is hard to do. I do wish I had found this place earlier as yall have been quick to respond and very helpfull. I want to say thaks to all.

4. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Just curious as to how much grain you are feeding?

5. keeneye

keeneye New Member

Well I went to check on her this morning and she was dead.I have 10 goats and feed a 5 gallon bucket of 16 percent every other day. I keep fresh hay and water. I thought this might not be to much but mabey it is.

6. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

way to mch grain. a goat that is milking gets, 4 pounds a day, plus a pd. per quart of milk, over that, but only when milking. if the yaren't milking, good hay and minerals is fine. I give my girls about 4 pounds a day, divided by two.
    you are feeding way to much grain. It isn't your fault. THe girls that aren't preggers, or in milk, I would stop graining. until a month before babies, then start by a cup or so a day and slowely build it up.
    I am so sorry for your loss.