Sick goat. . . .what do I do?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

I am new to babies too, but the "runnys" (scours) may be from coccidosis, read up on that and see if the symptoms fit.

You might try some a vit b complex and the probios, they may be stressed from the move. I would avoid the neomycin until you know what is ailing them. Have you wormed them? You probably should. You can use some ivomec 1% and give a tenth cc for every 10 pounds. You can round up on this if they are 27 pounds, give them .3 cc's. Ivomec doesn't overdose easily.

I know how stressful it is to be newer to goats and have one fall sick and not know what to do! (they are gonna ban me from posting soon because I ask so many questions!) :haha: Keep an eye on them, try the above and when you can give more symptoms post them again asking for help. I am sure someone else with more experience with young'uns will post soon.

Things to watch for:
    are they chewing cud
    loosing weight
    snotty noses-yellow? (clear is ok)
    raspy coughs
    are they drinking and eating
    peeing and how do their droppings look
    how are they moving...slow or normal?

If you can post more symptoms, someone else may have a better answer for you.

Hope that helped.
    Corrie Ann

2. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi allenslabs,

I don't know your area, or what is prevelant in your area, or where the goats came from. Auctions, for example, can subject the goats to everything that all the goats there may have. The stress of the move could have something to do with this, but we haven't found it to be as much of a problem as the infections, etc that they already have or pick up along the way. It could be from a change in diet also. Both babbies could still have the same thing. I would get some fecal samples tested as soon as possible. This will probably solve at least part of your problems.

Do either of the babbies have a temperature, especially the one with the cough? A temperature would indicate an infection (probably the respiratory) which should be addressed quickly.

The scours will have to be dealt with quickly no matter what the cause because dehydration can be quickly fatal especially in a kid. We use PeptoBismol and we have given as much as 6cc three times a day in severe scours, but then cut back as soon as possible and only give enough to keep the scours under control. We raise Boer goats, so you may have to adjust dosages for the size. We might also cut back their bottle to 2/3 to 1/2 of what they normally get and then fill the rest with an electrolyte solution.

The question of Neomycin would depend upon what is causing the scours. If it is only milk scours or change of diet, we find that the regemine in the paragragh above seems to take care of that. If it is Coccidiosis, we use Sulfadimethoxine 12.5% as a treatment at 6 ml once a day for five days. If it is parasites that require a wormer (I have seen kids that young with worms), then they will have to be wormed. The Neomycin might be effective against E-Coli, but in our area it is more likely to be one of the other things where Neomycin isn't the most effective.

Get the fecal samples tested and talk to a good local livestock vet. The samples will give you a lot of answers that you quickly need. The vet should help with a lot of the info you need in your particular area.

I hope that this helps a little.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

3. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

YOu can give the one with coughing, sneezing Oxymycin for upper respiratory infections. The suggestion to have a fecal sample taken to a livestock vet is wonderful to have it checked for cocci. The diarrhea could just simply becaused by feeding too much milk.

4. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Baby1 Heidi did have some crustys around her nose but she had just drank her milk (they drink from a bowl) and then ate some pellets so I think it was that as I've not seen it any more. Her cough is mostly real dry but every once in a while has something to it. She moves ok I suppose almost as one would when they are timid but let me tell ya.....when you try to catch her you have to be quick!! HAHA!! My grandma thought maybe worms so I am going to get some good wormer tomorrow as they need that anyway. I'll go ahead and do everyone just to get it over with.
    Baby 2 Patch~ She is fine really other than the messy stools. I've not seen anyone use the restroom other than Nanny but the reason I suspect her is that her hind end is messy. I would have thought Heidi to have the runs but her hind end is nice and clean. My grandma is coming over tomorrow and she's had several goats in her day so maybe she can help some. She said to feed Patch suregell to help clear her up. So I'll get on that tomorrow. I plan on just calling the vet and getting some over the phone advice. There is one up north a bit that is supposed to be really good. The vets here just aren't really on the ball it seems like.
    Anyway thanks for the help!! Keep it comin!

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

A dry cough with no fever or other signs of infection is probably lung worms. Ivomec should clear that right up.

For the one with the runny's - sometimes moving them just sets their gut off. I use Kaopectate on my critters, and it works just fine to firm things up.

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

A little baking soda stirred into their milk also would not hurt...should have loose salt and baking soda avail. at all times but little ones sometimes need to see the adults going to it before they try it....kaopectate is also a good idea..I dose for a 3 yo person

I use gel probios, selenium-E and wormer....I slap it on a piece of bread like a sandwich and give to the goats so I dont have to fight with them about taking their meds.

7. allenslabs

Well our vet opens at 8 and I'll be calling to get some wormer. My grandma likes panacure. . . . is that any better than ivomec? I can get ivomec for cattle anywhere but I don't know about for a goat. Anyway thanks a lot!
    So should I try the probios and seleniumE ? Should I have loose minerals out for them? THanks you guys this is such a help!!

8. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you looked at the fiasco farm website?..... www.fiascofarm.com

It has all info. you'll ever need about dairy goats...

Yes baking soda and loose mineral salt free choice at all times...

The selenium is a regional thing...ask your neighbor if they use it and how often and do you know if the kids got some right after birth

Are the kids chewing their cud? If yes then probios will help them...

9. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I would have a feces run, both might have coccii, and then I would probably give BO SE vitamin b complex, and cd and t, the yshould have had these already, and you might be pushung to much milk, that will make for runs.

10. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

The Ivomec you buy for cattle or horses is the same stuff you use for goats. For goats, give it orally instead of injecting it.

Panacur should work fine - that's another one you can usually find at the feed store instead of going through your vet.

The probios won't hurt them at all, and will probably help. It just re-populates their gut with good bacteria. Yogurt with active cultures will work for this in a pinch.

11. allenslabs

Well tonight I didn't notice any coughing. I wormed them yesterday evening with Ivomec. Talk about interesting! I gave the little buck (who had also been banded earlier) his via shot. . . . . he went bizerk! Screamed, ran, tossed his head, and then stood and shivered for about 10-15 mins almost like in shock. Scared me to death! I thought I had killed him. So I gave the others theirs orally with no fight. So anyway this evening no sign of coughing. She still stands "tucked" when she eats but no other time really so I think that's just how she stands maybe when eating her hay. She eats VERY well! Munches hay all the time. The other still has the runnys but I've not given any pepto as I thought it was maybe the worms. So that'll be tomorrow. Poor girl. Her coat is so shiny and soft though and she's so sweet and affectionate. And other than the runs I notice nothing else.
    THey are both doing good drinking from a bowl! They know too. When I come out and they get their hay first then I milk Nanny and they smell it on me or something and just crawl all over me for their milk . . . . it's cute. Heidi has really came around as she used to run at the sight of me.
    I SOOOOO have goat fever! I plan on getting a pregnant Nubian from my neighbor as soon as I get everyone well. She is due around april 23. My neighbor usually sells her does like that for 150 as they aren't registered but said she would only charge me 75 since we're so close and she knows how I love my others. She wants her to have a good home rather than have a lot of money for it. I can't wait! She is deciding which she wants to sell. She has two that she calls her teenagers and it will be one of them. Cute girls!
    Anyway thanks a lot!

12. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

Just a note with nasal discharge if it is any other color than clear then it is time to worry.

Goats can get allergies too. Different hay, new environments, etc. could cause it. If the nasal discharge is clear, no temperature, etc. I wouldn't worry.

I would treat for coccidisosis or give prevention meds. I like to use a Sulfadimenthoxine which is Albon Concentrated Solution 12.5% or Di-Methoox Concentrated Solution 12.5%.

13. allenslabs

Today I noticed Heidi (baby 1) had a cough but it had something to it. Ya know like she had a hocker or something. Her stools look EXACTLY like blackberries. I was trying to figure out where the berries came from then I realized it was from the babies. If that's the case then all that poop I see in the barn is from Nanny! There is a LOT of poop out there and I just assumed it was from everyone. Geez. . . . 1 goat can go through a lot! I have to chuck it out about once a day or it's aweful!
    Still noticed some runny's out there. Assume they're still from patch as her hind end is the only one looks that way.
    Thanks all!