Sick Goat... Please Help

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Bluebutterfly, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Bluebutterfly

Bluebutterfly Well-Known Member

I have a Nubian Doe who is 7 mo. old. We just purchased her. When she arrived we noticed that she had a cough. The previous owner said that the goat only had a Bo-se shot but she was wormed with Cydectin about 1 week ago. I have had her here for about a week now and today.. her stool is still solid but a bit loose. She has also started to vomit. She has escaped the barn and the fenced in area a few times and we found her eating the alfalfa grass that we have growing outside. I know she ate alot of it. I am a little new to raising goats and I am hopingall of you goat experts can give ma a few ideas as to what might be wrong with her.

Also.. What kind of shots should she have besides a Bo-Se shot.. if any?

Thank you so much for all of your replies. :bow:

Bluebutterfly

2. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Go to the feed store and get you some Probios, a bottle of cd/t, and a bottle of Biomycin (LA200 or it's generic antibiotic)
    If you can take her temp up her rectum and make sure she is not running a fever. If she has no fever give her a 2cc shot of cd/t You will need to give her a series of 3 of these shots 21 days apart. You don't give vaccines if your animals are running a fever though because the vaccine won't take. Give her about a 2 inch ribbon of the Probios squeezed into her mouth twice a day for a couple of days. The should help to settle her stomach. Don't feed her any grain while she has diarrhea. Alfalfa hay would be sufficient and plenty of water so she doesn't get dehydrated. Find out how much Cydectin they gave her and how it was administered. Cydectin Cattle Pour on should be administered orally (by mouth) at the rate of 1cc/25# of body weight. If it were me I would just reworm her just to KNOW that it was done and done right. I would also give her a dose of Valbazen for tape worms too. That is dosed at 1cc/10# body weight orally. If the diarrhea does not subside within 24-36 hours then I would start treating her for Cocci. You could also take a sample of her poop to the vet for analysis, checking for worms and cocci. If her diarrhea stops then slowly start her on either a goat pellet and hay or a grain mix and hay. She needs some grain or pellets so she will grow out good for you. Keep her hydrated. Keep the antibiotic on hand just in case that cough turns moist and hacky and she gets a snotty nose and/or fever. If she does get pneumonia like symptoms treat her with 3cc/100# daily for 5 days, injecting it IM.
    Christine Edwards
    Cotton Eyed Does

3. Bluebutterfly

Her temp is 102.2. I am not sure what the normal temp for a goat is. But I heard it was 102 - 103. Is that correct?

I also forgot to mention that she is slightly bloated. What can I do to help her with the bloating? She refuses to eat or drink anything. I am getting really worried. She just throws up and has slightly loose stool. Not runny but just slightly loose.

Thanks,
    Bluebutterfly

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

take some baking soda , in a bowel, and add just enough water to it, to make a ball, the size of a quarter, place in the back of her throat, far enough back so she will swollow it, then walk her, until she starts getting rid of the gas, and she is looking normal.
    she probably got to much grain, and aflaflha. but I would also do as stated above, in that post, as she is correct, in every way.

5. Bluebutterfly

Thanks everyone! I will get right to it!