sick ewe- need help diagnosing

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by ljatwork, Feb 3, 2004.

1. ljatwork

ljatwork Guest

I need help diagnosing recent sick ewe. In a corral full of plump WF ewes, I had one that has lost considerable weight the past 3 weeks. Her appetite is fine, but she is obviously sick- yellow mucus discharge from nose, weak, and most recently, blood tinged watery discharge from her vulva. (but no sign of anemia when checking eyelids) Back legs appear very weak and one hock is enlarged. (Could be due to dog bite- had discovered 2 dogs in their pen last month, but hadn't noticed that she got bit at the time.)
    No aborted fetuses at this time. Wants to eat, but doesn't appear to want any water when offered.
    Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I would get that ewe out of the pen, Then I would take its temperature, normal is 102.5 +or- a bit. She needs a closer look really can you see for sure if she has a bite?

3. ljatwork

ljatwork Guest

Unfortunately, she didn't get through the night. I had vaccinated for both Vibriosis and Chlamydia, but was concerned that it could be another abortion cause. Could this have been a uterine hemorrhage, or possibly caused by an infection from the hock? I didnt' see any tears, but it was enlarged at the joint. I had 2 other ewes bitten, and treated them with Penicillen and Banamine, and they are doing fairly well. I hate losing any ewes because of my lack of knowledge. If anyone has any ideas, please pass along. Thanks!

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'm sure there could be a number of ailments that could result on what you saw. I was thinking of septicemia, from either the bite or a dead fetus, killed during the commotion with the dogs.