Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We have a Suffolk cross ewe lamb born in early April who is not eating and mostly lying down. She has a fever of 105.8. She has been drinking water. She is breathing okay but making little moaning sounds like she is in pain. She seemed to be in pain when she urinated? The are some soft stools in the pen, but I don't know if they are hers. Her rear is not dirty. It does not look like bloat. She has been healthy and growing well. All the other sheep seem fine.

We have a call in to the vet but will probably not hear from him til tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Jean

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Is she vacinated with anything? I'd probably treat her with a tetracycline if the vet is not imediately available. Half a dozen reg strength asprins crush in a drench bottle too. Her gums are pink and her eys have visable red veins?

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
It would do the opposite if it were bad enough. Heat stroke could push up her temp maybe she needs some electrolites? (won't hurt) If shes not vacinated (or even if she is really) it could be pulpy kidney which is often fatal (virtually 100%) but you treat clostridial diseases with tetracycline if you get the chance.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Jean
I don't know what part of california you're in, but I know with the heat wave we had last week I was worried about mine getting pneumonia. Two years ago during a heat wave I had 4 get pneumonia. Not sure about pain with urinating, but we did have a ewe we give cranberry juice and pills to that we thought had a urinate infecting. G&S

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the description I found of pulpy kidney and it doesn't seem to fit.

"With the peracute form (very fast and severe), animals are generally found dead. Signs of staggering, twitching, convulsions and shock may occasionally be seen prior to death. Affected stock usually do not scour and frequently die within two hours.

With the more common acute form (fast and severe), most animals have a thin, green and pasty scour. Occasionally flecks of blood or pieces of gut wall may be found in the scour. Adults can survive for up to 24 hours before dying. They appear dull, stagger and may convulse frequently with a paddling motion of the legs. Affected goats often cry out with pain."

Our lamb is not convulsing or twitching. She has been like this for a few hours, so I don't think it is peracute pulpy kidney. If she is scouring she is managing to keep her rear clean, so I don't think it is acute pulpy kidney either. Unless it isn't always like this description?

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dh now says that maybe she was trying to poop when she was arching her back, urinating and moaning.

Goatsandsheep
We are sort of near the coast so it was warm for us (80's), but cool compared to the valley last week. Her breathing might be a little raspy.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
If you consider the typical symptom is dead, there's quite a range of alternatives. If they're vacinated that would certainly drop the risk. Not really enough info to make suggestions, any feed changes and what is thier feed? Any chance of a toxic bite, or any wounds hiding in the fleece? I suggested a tetracycline, because your vet is delayed, so its better to treat what you know (fever) than do nothing at all. Sheep are not often obliging with second chances or surviving delays.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today she seems fine. She is eating, chewing cud, moving normally, staying with the rest of the flock and no longer making the pathetic little bleat/moans. I have no idea what was wrong yesterday. With 105.8 fever and how bad she looked and weak she seemed, I thought it was serious. We have not yet heard back from the vet.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Jean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.