Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Working toward the dream
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a rabbit that I am worried about. It looks like she has had a nosebleed. She is breathing more rapidly than the others. It doesn't appear that she has drank much of her water today, and it has been hot. She has seemed fine until this evening. She is only about 4 months old.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Kitty

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Do you use water bottles or crocks? Water bottles can malfunction and it looks like the rabbit has plenty of water but the rabbit can't get it. Also, some rabbits will not drink tepid water. I'd give her a crock of water, nice and cool, maybe even a few ice cubes in it to keep it cool longer. I'd also try to get her out of the heat. If you have air conditioning, taking her indoors may help. If no A/C, a fan helps, especially if you can have it blow across a basin of cold water and ice. Or give her a frozen 2 litre plastic bottle of water. I mist my rabbits with a spray bottle on the occasional dangerously hot day - very fine mist, just let it drift down on them, particularly their ears. They hop a bit at first but end up liking it.

I'm assuming the heat and possible dehydration is causing the problem, but of course, it could be something else. Hope someone else with experience with rabbit illnesses posts as well.

·
Working toward the dream
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Her water bottle was working fine, even dripping a bit. I have already had my son give her some fresh cool water anyway, just because her water was warm.

We did have a fan on them, but it quit working yesterday. The other 3 seem ok.

Kitty

·
Enjoying Polish Rabbits
1,219 Posts
I use the frozen bottles. Also, when I clean my rabbitry I've started hosing it out. I'm fortunate that I have plastic hanging on the walls, so I'm not soaking everything in sight. The spray of the water really helps to cool the building down fairly quickly, so now on hot days the rabbitry will get a cleaning out whether it's due or not, just so I can hose and cool the place.!!

Thanks for reminding me that I need to pick up another fan. I try to have a spare on hand for when the one in use dies - and it inevitably will as it has nearly constant use.

·
Working toward the dream
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the doe in question seems to be okay this morning. She was up and drinking from her water bottle this morning. It got down to about 62* last night, so maybe that helped.

Thanks all.

Kitty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts