Sick doe?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by frogdog, Oct 5, 2006.

1. frogdog

frogdog Guest

Something is off with my doe. Her hair is not sleek and laid back, but kind of dull and scruffy. She has an on and off cough, but that could be any number of things. The main thing is that her poop is not normal hard "pellets"...more like small cow pies with bits of undigested grain. Her appetite and energy are normal. She was wormed (thinking it could be the cause), but there has been no change. I just started topdressing her grain with probiotic powder and added a cup of AC vinegar to the water pail. Everyone else is looking and doing great, it's just her.

Any thoughts??

2. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Try a different wormer? Remove the grain and increase the hay or browse?

Those are just guesses from a newbie.

3. frogdog

frogdog Guest

The cydectin was a new wormer. The dairy-grade alfalfa hay is free-choice and removing the grain is not an option, since she's being milked. When I put the probiotics in front of her, she goes nuts for them, so I think her rumen bacteria are out of whack. We'll just have to give the probiotics a chance and see how it goes.

Thanks for the input,
    Liz

4. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I think I'd treat the poop problem too. Mine like Pepto Bismol.

Ruth

5. goat^farmer

goat^farmer Well-Known Member

Have ye treated your doe for barepole worms? They can make a hair look rough. barepole worms can be very deadly to a goat. I have never used that drug wormer tht you used so I do not know if it kills barepole worms.

just a thought

6. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Barber pole is really Haemonchus. The main symptom is anemia. Others can be bottle jar and scours rough hair and weight loss. Each worm can consume .05 ml of blood a day. They can also produce 5,000-10,000 eggs a day.

Pretty yucky . Good news is as long as you dosed correctly you should have killed them. Is there a reason you went to the heavy duty wormer ? I can still use ivermectin with good results. Are you resistant to the others ? Also learn how to do fecals so you can tell if your wormer is working. You will want to worm again 10 days or so after the first worming.

Patty

Also add some red cell to her water or food. BOSS is good for coats. How long has her poop been off?

7. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

My goats loved the taste of probiotics so their enthusiasm to eat was not an indication of need.

I'm assuming you have free choice baking soda for her?

8. frogdog

frogdog Guest

I used cydectin because it has no milk withdrawl, no other reason. I'm not sure about the red cell... it's dried beef liver. I'm not real big on feeding any kind of meat to ruminants, but especially not from another ruminant. We picked up some B complex, which should also help with anemia, if that's a problem.

Her poop has been off for a couple weeks now, I guess. It started off and on, like when she was mad about having her feet trimmed, or if she got startled. Now, it's all the time. She's in normal body condition for a lactating doe, but I'm definitely concerned she's not absorbing all the nutrients she needs. She otherwise seems to be feeling just fine.

Yep, free choice baking soda, 'meatmaker' goat mineral salt, and dairy quality alfalfa hay. Once or twice a week I put out some kelp meal.

Liz

9. swampgirl

swampgirl Well-Known Member

Did you check her gums & inner eyelids to see if she looked anemic? If she does, & she's a good doe, you might want to get vet to do a blood sample. Start with a simple hematocrit test, so it might not cost you too much. Make sure she keeps well hydrated during the scouring.

10. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

frogdog
    I hope your doe gets well soon. Here is the most clinical signs of the Barber pole also known as caprine haemonchosis included inappetence, dullness and soft faeces and anemia.

Why the goats get so anemia from this type of worm is because it is sucking all it's blood out.

Wormy goats will eat continually and still lose weight, because all nutrients are going to feed the worms. Soft stool is common, and "bottlejaw" (sagging skin under the chin) can result when an animal is seriously protein-deficient.

These worms are dangerous enough in summer, Haemonchus becomes a silent killer during winter. Pregnant does are particularly susceptible to Haemonchus infection. Worm infestation must be diagnosed and treated early on, because it doesn't take very long for a goat to become so anemic that it is impossible to save its life from these deadly worms. How to check anemia in your goat pull the lower eyelid down and see if it is red, pink, pale pink or white. If they are pale pink or white that tells you have a bad anemia goat. You can also check the goats gum to see if they are anemia also. Most the time through the gums will not tell the complete truth so that is why you go by the eyelids instead. Use a Famacha Chart it tells you the degree of anemia in your goat. If you do have a very anemia goat use V-B Complex and it will help them get back on track. You also can use instead of V-B Complex to help a anemia goat is Goats Prefer Power Punch.. I've had to use this before to help get one of my goats back on track from being very anemia also with V-B Complex shots.

How to check a goat for dehydration: Pinch the skin; if it snaps back into place, the goat is not seriously dehydrated. If the skin stays 'tented' like beaten egg whites, the goat is seriously dehydrated. Mix electrolytes and get it down them as soon as you can. You can also use to help dehydrate a goat is Powerade, Gatorade, pedylite or koolaid. This is great to use to help if a goat is dehydrated.. I'm not saying your is but incase she is this can be used to help.

After you have treated a goat for being sick and they start to get better and you don't have to use meds on them anymore it is good use something Probios Dispersible Powder to help put good things back in their stomach.

I was reading where someone said to use Red Cell but Red Cell that isn't good to use on goats. Lots of people I have talk to will not use Red Cell now due it is very bad for goats. I was also reading on Fias Co Farm that they use to use Red Cell but no more because of all of this--->>> We used to add Red Cell to our feed, but now, with all the health issues of diseases being passed because of use of animal products in animal feed, we have quit using Red Cell, which contains beef liver and died meat solubles. they no longer recommend using it.

Good Luck on your goat. :)