Sick doe

Discussion in 'Goats' started by bgraham, Jul 18, 2006.

1. bgraham

bgraham Well-Known Member

I have a doe with 3 month old twins. Nubians. Since Sunday she has been coughing...well, not exactly coughing. She sounds like she is trying to get up a hairball. Her stools have also changed. Instead of pellets it looks more like human waste. Other than that, she seems fine.

I assume it is something she is eating. She has not had minerals for several weeks. My husband put out a mineral block this weekend and she may have gotten to much of that. I have put it up where she can't get to it for the time being. I feed her a couple of cups of grain every day and she forages all she wants.

Any suggestions?

Edited to add: The mineral block hubby put out was a block of loose minerals. They are supposed to be introduced a little at a time to it.

Thanks,

Beth

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

What do you mean by a "block" of loose minerals?? When was she last wormed?? The loose stools can easily be caused by worms and the hacking is very possibly lungworms....or possibly a reaction to the time of year if its very dusty where you are. Cydectin handles stomach worms and lungworms.

3. bgraham

ozarkjewels,

I bought her several weeks ago and the lady I bought her from said she had recently been wormed. So, in other words, I don't know exactly.

The minerals came in a block but said they should be "crumbled".

Beth

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the info Beth. I would worm her again. I always worm everything when I bring them home, even if they were wormed recently. Moving to a new place is very stressful, especially in extreme weather and the worms will attack when an animal is stressed in any way. Better safe than sorry.
    I reccomend Cydectin.
    Hmmm, never heard of minerals that come in a block but need crumbled. New one to me! :) I would probably try to find a "true" loose mineral to keep in front of her.

5. bgraham

Just wanted to let everyone know that I wormed all the goats and they are all doing great.

The doe has not had any more diarhea or coughing since.

Thanks!

Beth