Sick doe

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Rob30, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a boer cross doe theat had tripplets 4.5 weeks ago. she has been loosing wieght, and now is starting to look sick. She is standing in the corner with her back hunched up. She is not eating as much as usual. She is the boss and usually cleans house at feeding time. I just gave her a drench of 120cc f baking soda and water, 10 cc calcium, and I wormed her with ivomec. What should I look for or do next? She does not have a temp.
    I am thinking of isolating her and giving more grain but I am afraid of acidosis.

2. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

Not sure what's going on w/ your doe, but first thought was," Did she pass an afterbirth for each kid?"
    Also, I think a hunched back would indicate pain. Have you checked to see that she is not developing mastitis in her udder. Feel it to see if it's hot or hard. How does the milk look when it is expressed?
    The baking soda is always good. Have you changed the amount of grain the doe gets recently? Too much or not quite enough during pregnancy can trigger ketosis.
    I have not personally experienced this with my girls, but I understand that giving the baking soda drench should help. Follow that with some warm water with molasses in it, and/or try to get her to swallow 1/2- 1 cup of corn syrup/honey. I would give her some probios or yogurt to keep the good bacteria in her tummy going as well. Ketosis is serious, if she doesn't start to come around, get the vet out there.
    Maybe she just can't handle nursing triplets. Giving enough milk for all those kids will drain alot out of a doe. Can you pull one of the kids to put on a different doe, or bottle feed if necessary?
    I hope she starts feeling better.

3. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

If your doe has milk fever, she needs 60cc of calcium, subQ and 30-40cc propylene glycol orally. Could be that feeding three babies is draining her. Give her probios and all the hay she wants, but don't increase the grain if she's feeling sick.

4. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Rob, is your doe doing any better? I will be praying for her. Good Luck, and please keep us updated. Good Luck. Bye.

5. Rob30

She is doing a bit better. I found her teats are in rough shape. The triplets must be fighting over them. One is bruised and swollen. I think I am going to have to wean her babies youg. They are only 5.5 weeks old.

6. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Is she getting enough calcium in her diet? Alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets? She needs that to make milk, particularly for that many kids. Mine get free-choices alfalfa pellets. If you add them, start slow.

Grain does not have enough calcium in it to make milk. Perhaps that is why she is losing weight. Just a thought. My goats hunch up like that in the cold. I see you are in the north. I don't know what your springs are like there. It's in the 90's here. My goats are not used to cold and do what yours is doing when it is just a bit cold.

Good luck with your doe. I hope she gets better.

7. Rob30

My does not nursing well. One of her teats is bruised, swollen and has a blister on it. She must not be letting them nurse from it. Her udder is swollen on that side and full of milk. I milked her down this morning.
    The problem is the 3 kids are going to be fighting over one teat now.
    The kids I think are to young to wean. And I don't have any luck with bottle babies. What can I do to make her heal up with out removing the kids?

8. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Here, just in case you do end up needing to bottle feed. http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=108594 Post #27 has the recipe in it that me and my mom used, and got wonderful results from, with our orphaned baby. The beginnning also has a lot of great ways to get the baby to tkae the bottle. I don't know anything about udders, we have never had any pfoblems with our girls udders, but I think that mygoat had to fix her does udder before, cracked and stuff I think. Good Luck with your doe, and her little babies. Good Luck. Bye.

9. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

This is the reason I never leave more than two kids on a doe. I pull one within the first couple of days and bottle feed it. When I pull kids at or shortly after birth, I have no problems getting them to take a bottle. At 5 1/2 weeks old, that may be more of a challenge. If you can get one to take the bottle, whole cow's milk would work if you have no goat milk available. I don't think you will be able to get them to quit mutilating the doe's udder with all three on her. The one option that could work if you have the time would be to put the kids in their own pen and then let them in with the doe one or two at a time twice a day to nurse. Put antibiotic ointment on her sore teats. If one of the kids is destined for meat anyway, you may be able to sell to someone who wants young goat for their Easter meal.