Sick cow

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Wanda, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

If she is a year old and only 250 pounds she has had a prob. for several months!! What was her start in life, did she recieve colustrom in the first few hours? How long has this condition been going on. This calf should wiegh 3 times what she does now unless she is a mini blood line. I would think a trip to the vet would be in order to see if there is a way to bring her out of it. If she is 12 months old she may be stunted and never attain a normal size. You might be better of to sell her and buy a replacement. Some times throwing money feed and effort at a prob. will not solve it. You need to evaluate the situation carefully before you spend a lot of money on her. If you decide to keep her at the minimum the vet needs to run a fecal test for parasite load and a blood test to see what is going on.
    Mr Wanda
    Mike

2. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Something drastic is wrong with her if she weighs only 250 at a year. My steer calf weighs over 400 at 4 1/2 months. See a vet -quick.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

At the age and weight mentioned and with the problems the animal is not worth the vet bill. Put it down and minimize your losses!

4. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

While I large agree on spending good money on a problem which may be beyond economic repair, I would not recommend putting it down. Take it to the livestock auction. Someone will buy it. Something is better than nothing - although you could likely get about 100 pounds of baby beef out of her.