Sick cough or not?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by MillsFarmFamily, Nov 23, 2005.

1. MillsFarmFamily

MillsFarmFamily Well-Known Member

We have a hamp/york cross (approx 50-60lbs) that is coughing. It has done this several times in the past couple of days, but I thought it was just hacking on some of the food or something. This am it sounded more conjested though. How can I tell if it is worms or something that needs to be treated more aggressively? We bought the pig last week from a reputable "show pig" farm, so I thought I would call later tonight to find out what they have already done with the pig. Any advice you all could provide would be greatly appreciated though.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Your coughing pig needs worming ASAP with an ivermectin product

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

my experience is that pigs also cough when they have pneumonia. the change in weather as well as stress from moving could do it.

4. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

after some friends loosing a litter in less than 8 hours after a couple started with a little cough...we mix tylan 200 and biomycin together and hit them with it. I would give 5 cc of each IM in the neck.

5. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

I am interested in how this turns out for you. So far you have three responses and three different drugs to inject. I would call a vet and find out exactly what is wrong so you can administer the proper product. This is the problem in modern animal husbandry, we administer antibiotics and de-wormers completely too often and more and more problems crop up because of the resistance. Drug companies like it though! One of my gilts had a cough for a couple days and it cleared right up. I hope that this is the case for you and it is nothing serious. Sometimes a call to the vet is all that is required to give you some ideas of what to look for. If you have developed a relationship with your vet, they are often ok with advice over the phone.

6. MillsFarmFamily

We wormed both pigs that came from the same farm with 1% Ivomek. So now the pig that originally had the cough is doing better, but the other one that is a little bigger looks really bad: Breathing heavy, sort of coughing slightly, like trying to clear a hairball, and mucus coming out of her nose. We gave her a dose of LA-200. Is there anything else? We're going to wait to see what the a.m. brings, and then call in a professional if needed, and if not too late. Who says farm life is stress free? :confused:

7. agmantoo

An opinion, once the worms clear all will be fine.

8. MillsFarmFamily

Does anyone know if we need to re-worm in a week or so, or if the 1% Ivomec takes care of that?

The original pig that was coughing is doing just fine. The other one seemed better yesterday. He got up and ate quite a bit, seemed to be breathing a little better, and was wagging his tail, but then went back into his house and stayed there for most of the day.

9. agmantoo

Since these pigs exhibited that they had worms then Yes I would worm them a second time. The parasite eggs will have hatched and a follow up treatment should wipe the immature worms out and there should not be any viable worm eggs remaining.