Sick Calf

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by outdoor-addict, Mar 20, 2017.

1. outdoor-addict

outdoor-addict Active Member

Forgive my stupidity buy I am fairly new to cattle. I have what I assume to be an angus/dairy cross calf, approximately 3 months old, that is quite weak and sick. Picked up him and two larger calves, a couple of weeks ago, and all looked fine other than he was a little small but he was eating hay and grain good so I took him anyway. Got them home and the next day he had a little of a white discharge coming from his nose which I assumed probably came from transporting him (was a little cool and drizzling rain) as well as slightly loose stool. Next several days he got more and more lethargic acting, ears down and just standing around, so I made an appointment for Tuesday of last week to have the vet castrate him and the two other calves as well as vaccinate, worm and check out the sick calf. He dosed him up with antibiotics and a steroid to hopefully get some pep back in his step. Over the next few days he seemed more alert, white discharge had stopped and stool was no longer loose. However over the last couple of days it has been getting harder and harder for him to get up and do anything. Went out this morning to check on him and he wasn't even able to stand up, he would try to get to his feet but couldn't get his legs under him, had slight white discharge coming from his nose and loose piles of poop with a little blood in them. I should mention his appetite has not been hurt through any of this, little guy will eat all you put out in front of him. Have called vet but am awaiting a response, any help would be appreciated.

2. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Google "white muscle disease" and maybe your reading will help. Obviously im just guessing.

3. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

But more than likely shipping fever

4. outdoor-addict

Picked up a bottle of oxytet 200 today. Will try dosing him every 48 hours I guess. Is that what you would recommend? Still no word from the vet

5. nate77

nate77 Well-Known Member

If he's in that bad of shape, I wouldn't mess around with over the counter LA200, go to the vet, and get a syringe loaded with the good stuff like Draxxin.

6. G. Seddon

G. Seddon Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm still trying to figure out why the vet would castrate, vaccinate, deworm a lethargic calf, and then top him off with antibiotics and steroids. Despite the fact that he was eating, he was probably under a great deal of stress in a new environment. Were these calves together from the very start, or were they purchased separately and then put together when you bought them? Can you get another vet out there?

gundog10 and MO_cows like this.
  7. outdoor-addict

They were supposedly together from the start. Cant get any other vets out here today. Just came in from work and he is down completely, head out and cant even roll to his side to try to get up. Looking like its prolly too late

8. G. Seddon

Oh dear, sorry to hear that. You gave it a good try anyway! Hope the others do well for you!

9. outdoor-addict

Finally got a vet to come out. She agreed that his chances are slim but gave him an iv to get fluids in him and medicated him ip good so I guess we will see how he is in the morning, I am expecting him to probably be dead by morning but we will see.

10. outdoor-addict

Well the little guy just couldnt shake it. Found him dead this morning. It sucks but I guess thats part of it.

11. G. Seddon

So sorry....you did your best...and that was a lot more than most would do! Don't be hard on yourself. Do the best you can for the others and I'll be pulling for you!

dsmythe likes this.
  12. nate77

nate77 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear the news, but you're right, it is part of it.

We've lost two calves, one was a slow process with multiple vet visits, like yours, but he finally gave up.

The other was a perfectly happy and healthy 4 month old that that was doing great at 8:00PM, but was dead when I went out for their morning feeding at 8:00AM.

The sickly one went down hill after de-horning, and castration, the healthy one bloated from an obstruction, or to much fall clover.