Sick Calf HELP NEEDED

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by billdarlene, Jun 26, 2006.

1. billdarlene

billdarlene Well-Known Member

I was recently given a 8 to 10 month old holstein steer he was in bad shape very skinny, he is blind in one eye and has a swollen front knee joint. This calf came from some one who bought it at a sale barn and had it a couple of weeks and then deceided they couldnt care for it. i have had this calf for a month when i got him we vaccinated wormed him then put him on pasture with grain offerd daily and he is getting worse he is still eating but very little and is having trouble standing and walking he is very wobbling when he gets up. then he stands there head down and slobbering. he has gained no weight the last month. any ideas?

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

He almost surely had joint ill/naval ill when a calf. However, that shouldn't be causing the current problem. You might worm again. WAG is Johnes - a wasting away disease which seems to affect dairy cattle more than beef. Far as I know there is no cure for it. Animal just continues to go downhill until it dies.

Call your vet. May recommend hitting it with a strong dose of LA200 or something similar.

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Agree with Ken. Schedule thorough Exam with a Vet.

4. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Ditto. This is a very sick animal and vet input is necessary. I very rarely say die if there is some hope but from your description, if the vet is out of the question because of distance or finances, I would seriously consider having him put out of his misery via a rifle.

Keep us posted and chin up.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

5. billdarlene

billdarlene Well-Known Member

The Vet has been on vacation he will be back tommorow and is sceduled to visit i started the la200 on sunday I hope he lives till the vet comes out. Thank all of you for your help.