Sick Bunny ?????

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by eggladyj, May 6, 2005.

1. eggladyj

eggladyj Well-Known Member

I have 5 bunnies that were born on the 18th of March to a Giant Flemish. This evening when I went out to lock everybody up for the night I noticed that one of the babies is acting very strange, has it's head tilted backwards almost on it's back and there is some dried/fresh blood on it's nose. I'm pretty new at raising bunnies so I don't have a clue what this might be. I've seperated it from the rest of the litter, actually it's been brought into the garage away from everybody, is there something I can do for it? What could this be and will the rest of the litter be affected at some point in the near future?

Thanks for any help on this!
    Jeannine

2. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

This is a disease, but I can't remember which one without doing a lot of research (it's not a real common one). Best bet is to put the poor thing down, as I don't believe there is a cure for it. This is not Wry Neck, so please don't confuse it with that ailment. Keep a close watch on the rest of the litter, too.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

3. eggladyj

eggladyj Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for your response! I didn't have to put it down, shortly after I posted it died on it's own. I'm really baffled by how rapid this hit, within 12 hours this bunny went from no outward signs of illness to dead. This morning I checked the rest of the litter really well and they all seem healthy and happy....hopping and eating and drinking as usual. By chance do you know what they get the disease from; mice, parasites, or ??? Would you know perhaps where I might be able to do some researching, so I can avoid this problem in the future? I spent many hours last night checking the links section here for any clues, but all I could find info on was Wry Neck, and I was pretty sure it wasn't that-I've seen Wry Neck in chickens. Anyway, many thanks again!!

Jeannine