Sick Bunny

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by homemominmilton, Apr 26, 2005.

1. homemominmilton

homemominmilton Member

Here's a pic of this bunny's nose (www.ImageHosting.com/images/homemom/SickBunny.jpg)

She began by what looked like an injury around her eye and then this problem with her nose. It appears to be healing now. Do you think they are injuries? Could this be some type of infection or infestation? Is it contagious to people or other rabbits? Do I need to treat her?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Suzanne

2. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

It's really hard to say from that picture, but I'll venture a guess. Is it possible another of the rabbits is hurting her? I know un-spayed females fight a lot, and I wonder if she might not be on the losing end of a conflict. If I'm right, I don't think there's much to do about it except separate her from the assailant and let her wounds heal. Topical antibiotics will get promptly licked off.

But that's just a guess on my part - how is she otherwise? Any itching/scratching, sneezing, abnormal behavior, decreased appetite?

3. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Please check her genitals. If you find scabs and/or sores there, too, then you have rabbit Venereal Disease. It gets on her nose and eyes due to grooming the sore areas.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee