Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rabbit I posted about awhile back..that was pulling fur. We wrote it off to false preg. Anyways, I don't think she was pulling. It looks like it is falling out in patches. Weird thing is I haven't noticed any fur around the cage. She is not eating at all and hardly drinking. She seems almost lethargic today. Called 4H (we are in a rabbit club) and they said take her to the vet...I really don't want to spend that kind of money on a $10 bunny , but I don't want her to die on me either.

Note: I feed her pellets, and the only change I can think of in her diet during all this has been that I started sprinkling alfalfa hay over her pellets...Oh, and we did give her a little squash last week.

Thanks, Rachael

·
Premium Member
26,565 Posts
How old is she and is the skin kind of scabby? Mites could cause the fur to fall out in patches. Sounds like you may have to force feed her if she isn't eating. Do you have any cat hairball remedy? Try giving her that on a piece of banana or a bit of bread crust. Does she back into a corner of her cage when you come near her? Is her belly swollen? If the belly is swollen and she tries to get away from you then she has bloat, treated easily with infant gas relief drops.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No scabby, no bloat. She isn't backing off, in fact she is usually one of the hardest ones to catch and now comes right to the cage door...almost like she is ASKING for attention.

I don't have cat hairball remedy, but it is prob cheaper than the vet...I can get some and try it. I am thinking mange. We are fixing to have lunch then I am going to see if I can see anything on her. Thanks, Keep it comin!

Rachael

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
if she is not eating or drinking that could be the cause of the hair fall out. Check her mouth to see if there is somethng wrong in there that you can see infected tooth something caught in throat etc

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know this is really dumb...but could it be the heat? It has been really hot here lately (on up into the 90's...and dry until the past couple days). All my buns eat less when it's hot, but she doesn't want to eat AT ALL. She DOES have the thickest fur (by far) of the bunch.

Rachael

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I've heard that olive oil or mineral oil will unblock them if it is hairballs.
dry hay or grass is good too if you have been feeding that all along.

·
Premium Member
26,565 Posts
Good to know about the olive oil. I can no longer find the hairball remedy my rabbits like.

matt, while the heat will affect her appetite she still needs to eat and drink. Does she eat any grass, dandelions, plantain, mint, etc??? Anything at all?
Try adding black tea to her water (no sugar) and give her the contents of the tea bag to eat. It usually gets them drinking for me.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Danaus....being the newbie that I am I haven't really ever fed her anything but pellets, some clover, occasional carrots, and some grass clippings. Lately I have been trying some new things and I thought that might be the problem. We had started slow and small w/ some alfalfa in her pellets and also given her small veggie scraps (zucchinni and squash) over the past few weeks.

My daughter did get her to eat half a carrot yesterday, and when I put in a bed full of straw last night, she ate half the straw!! I let her b/c I figured it was good "roughage"! She did drink 2-3 more ounces of water over night and there is lots of poop and urine in the tray, so I am hoping she is doing better.

I was reading on the not eating thread and began to wonder if she could have gone into ketosis? The explanation there kinda fit since she has lost so much weight and didn't want to eat. I'm still looking for the hairball remedy....would it be at Walmart b/c the local feed stores don't have any. I am also going to get some Timothy and start introducing that when she is better. (that was suggested on the other thread, too).

Thanks for the help, and I am still open to suggestions to get through this and avoid it happening again.

Oh, BTW...I kinda have a theory, could anyone offer their opinion on it: Since we first thought it was false preg, could she have gotten backed up from all that fur she was pulling and stopped eating/drinking, causing more hair fallout? And do you think it would help her to be bred? (for those of you w/ chickens...I guess I am asking, "has she gone broody?") I was waiting till next year when I had more "experience" under my belt, but if all this does go back to false preg, maybe it would help??

Thinking out loud, thanks for your advice, Rachael

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Beaniemom said:
I think its a good sign if she ate the hay and there is still "output" under her cage. I wouls hesitate to breed her until she recovers, I think that would be too much of a strain on her system.

Dawn
oh,no,no,no. I wouldn't do that to her. I meant when she was feeling better. I guess I just wondered if this DID have something to do w/ false preg if it would help her. Kind of a thought process of, maybe her bio clock is ticking and she has that instinct in her, so maybe it would help her to ...you know. It IS a "stress relief" for humans, so maybe..... I don't know. But DH did make the point that he would be dying too, if it were him!! LOL.

She is munching on more carrot now, still won't eat the pellets, though. I think later today I will cut up some carrot and put it in a bowl w/ the pellets and some hay, maybe she'll get some in that way. She is also drinking more and getting back to a peeing/pooping machine again. OH, and she scratched me this morning trying to get on the floor, so she is getting her personality back, too! So, I am hoping we are the upside of this!

Thanks again, Rachael

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got an email from a lady that breeds buns. She is kinda the bun expert around here! She said hair balls, and since they can't yak em up like cats, to give her some pumpkin (like the stuff for pies). She also said oil would help and to not give her pellets till she is better, only hay. And worm her when she is better, that could have been the cause of her eating fur to begin w/.

So, I amoff to spoon feed pumpkin...good thing I LOVE pumpkin pie..most people would not have that in their pantry, huh?!

Rachael

·
Premium Member
26,565 Posts
If you have pumpkin seeds give her those too. There is something in the seeds that kills worms. It has worked on my rabbits, in fact the pumpkin is how I found they had worms! Just plain seeds, no roasting, no shelling. Some stores sell them as squirrel food. Give her about a handful a day for 10 to 14 days.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Beaniemom said:
Have you checked the pellets? Just to be sure that they are okay, I think there is a date code on the bags? Have you changed brands? Maybe she has just decided to be a picky eater! :p

Dawn
No...but all my other buns are okay. I will check though...maybe they are just "hardier". No we have always used the same brand..too much work to change and I don't have a reason to..yet!

She is doing almost 100% better. I thought she would like the pumpkin as much as I do, but, no, I had to force-feed her. That was fun! I think it is helping. I am going to do more today. She is wearing out the timothy and it is like 32% fiber...so she should be cleaned out pretty soon. She is back to her piggy self and I'm not sure if I am imagining it, but already looks to be filled out again.

Danaus..thanks for the tip on the pumpkin seeds, I will try that.

A much happier Rachael

1 - 15 of 15 Posts