Sick Buckling

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cayenne47, Jul 24, 2006.

1. cayenne47

cayenne47 Critter Mama Supporter

Sick Baby

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :help: :help: :help:

3 WEEK OLD BUCKLING
    HAPPY HEALTHY BOUNCY ALL DAY LONG
    TONITE HE REFUSES HIS BOTTLE

IT HIT 110 HERE TODAY, COULD IT BE THE HEAT? THEY HAVE PLENTY OF SHADE.
    THEY ARE IN A VEGGIE GARDEN AREA..BUT THERES NOTHING THERE THAT IS TOXIC TO GOATS.

NO DIARRHEA. TEMP IS 103 HES NOT HUNCHED
    ATE HIS LUNCH FINE. HE TAKES 1-1/2 C. 3 TIMES A DAY OF KID-LAC
    HES BEEN ON IT SINCE BIRTH
    I GOT 4CC OF PEPTO DOWN HIM...AND MAYBE 2 SWALLOWS OF ELECTROLYTE WATER.

I JUST GOT HIM TO TAKE MAYBE 3 OZ OF ELECTROLYTES.
    SHOULD I JUST WATCH OR DOES ANYONE HAVE SUGGESTIONS?
    IVE LOST 2 BABIES AND I PANIC :help:

2. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

I would be worried sick too, but more worried if he refuses to eat in the am. Hopefully he'll just be really hungry. Console yourself he got some fluids, can't hurt to keep getting a swallow or two down him every couple of hours.

I'll be watching to see how he does then. It is surprising how fragile goats can be . . .

3. cayenne47

thanks i will keep you posted/
    i tried the goat 911 >> all the emails came back.
    :( :Bawling:
    just tried some formula..no way jose.

ihope hes ok..hes going to be our herd sire

4. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to have problems with kids refusing to eat and babies dying when I fed milk replacer. I now feed only goat or whole cow's milk. One time I did have a doeling who wouldn't take much of her bottle for a few days. She did, however, drink water and eat weeds and grass. I kept getting her to take as much of the bottle I could get into her and spoon fed her plain yogurt with probiotics. Like your baby, she was still active and not runnning a fever. Whatever was going on with her passed and she grew up to be a huge doe. Very spoiled, too.

5. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

With it being so hot I would tube him. Add yogurt and probios. I also do not like replacer goat milk or whole cows milk. I would also be treating him for coccidia. Is there a barn the babies can stay in til the weather lets up ?

6. cayenne47

he drank half a bottle...wanted more but i didnt want to push it...is active and running around.. :dance:
    got a few spoonfuls of yogurt down him last nite. got up every hour to check and he just looked at me like 'let me go back to sleep you crazy woman' lol.
    i have to run into town today...i will put them in the house in their crate with the a/c on..i think it was the heat

7. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

Yay!! I know the heat here in Idaho is brutal right now, and for a few hours in the afternoon, you could hear a pin drop, all the animals are passed out or just lying there. My dog likes to "manage" the roosters, even he's snoring in his dirt hollow under a tree.

When it's that hot, feed extra protein and more calorie dense foods to all animals, as they eat so little. Luckily they don't move much either. Giving him yogurt is a great idea.

I make that vinegar cheese out of extra milk, and it doesn't have much flavor but it's protein. The chickens and dogs gobble it when they aren't interested in their own food, so I worry less about intake. Except for the dog, all of my animals are babies or juveniles (my FFs still play with each other like thier kids).

Next year when everyone is more independent and grown, I'll just worry about the new goat babies. I look forward to it. DH brought home 2 little border collie pups last night that were going in the river. They are 7 wks old, and I'm stressing about them eating/drinking enough (they are), so I'm babied out.

8. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

oops double post

9. Egypt Run

Egypt Run Active Member

Glad to read he is active and drinking again.
    Praise the lord.
    Steve

10. cayenne47

THE crisis has passed. Hes happy and eating and being good baby boy again. :shrug: Thanks for all the help