sick baby please help

Discussion in 'Goats' started by wwoodacres, Mar 7, 2005.

1. wwoodacres

wwoodacres Active Member

i just purchased a 4 wk old pygmy and on the way home i noticed his nose was crusted and he was having a hard time breathing i tried to give him a bottle but every time he starts to suck he has a hard time breathong his rectal temp is 104.7 and im afraid he might be or get dehydrated any suggestion til i can call the vet in a.m.

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

you know those things that come in ear cleaning kits? or if you have a small child, you might have one, they are a blue syrnge, use one of those to clean its nose out. and you could use a warm wash cloth. also, give pen- g , I would say, it might have a cold, a bad one. you could use a q tip, in a pinch. but be very careful , and clean out its nose.
    try it. it just might work in a pinch.

3. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

If you can get childrens sudifed to give to him to help clear up nasal passage ways. You just go by I would say the smallest dose on the bottle? I did that with my kid when she was sick. It worked like a charm

MotherClucker

4. wwoodacres

wwoodacres Active Member

thank you do you know what normal temp is also if it would be safe to give pedilite because hes not taking much fluid

5. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

Normal temp is about 101
    I dont know about pedialite.
    Be persistant with his bottle
    Make a big hole in the nipple so he doesnt have to suck very hard
    If you have nutri drench that is always good
    to check for de-hydration, pinch his "scruff" the skin on the back of his neck, if it falls back into place you are ok, if it stays like a tent for a few seconds, you have an emergency on your hands
    GOOD LUCK

6. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi,

The temp sounds a little high suggesting an infection. If the discharge from his nose isn't clear or white, it probably suggests an infection (There can still be an infection if it is clear or white). You need to try to clear his nose so he can have an easier time on the bottle. Try to determine if it is the plugged nose or congestion that is making it difficult for him to breath. The tube that goes to the stomach is on the goats left side of the month. Especially since he seems to be having trouble drinking and breathing, you'll want to be on that side to try to avoid getting anything into the lungs. You can drench smaller amounts between his teeth and cheek. Electrolyte solutions are a good temporary way to fend off dehydration. You get a lot more in them with a lot less liquid for rehydrating.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

7. GoldenWood Farm

No normal temp is 102.5. Not 101 believe me! I would rather a goat have a higher temp than a lower temp.

Give the baby a antiboitic like Bio-Mycin or LA 200 which are both the same thing.
    If you need to tube feed the baby or have somebody tube feed him for you to get fluid into him. If you can get some powdered electrolights into thats fine. But nothing else but milk if possible. I am sure there is a goat person in your area that can tube feed for you.

My guess is the baby has pasturella which can be caused by stress of moving. It is quite normal. A elevated temp generaly means infection or sickness. A lower temp means the baby is dying and that his sytems are shuting down. 104.7 isn't a good temp but its better than 101 or 99.5.

Chma4 please believe me that when I say 101 is not a normal temp it really isn't! Now for some odd goats it is lower than 102.5 like sometimes its norm is 102 or maybe 101.9 like some people their temp is below normal which for that goat is normal. But the saftey guide line is 102.5-103...but the safest is around 102.5.

Wwoodacres if you like you can e-mail me privatly if you have anymore questions :) . I would be happy to help.

My e-mail is goldenwoodfarm@gmail.com

Good luck with your little baby!

Oh and again TRY and find anybody in your area that can tube feed!

MotherClucker
    ps: if you can learn how to tube feed as it will save a babys life. As long as the baby doesn't have really runny poop you should be fine

8. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

All of my Nigerians on a regular day run somewhere in the high 101 range, didnt mean to offend anyone, just trying to help

9. GoldenWood Farm

Not at all Chma4 like I said some goats are lower than others.

MotherClucker