Sick Baby Jersey bull

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by First Timer, Jun 25, 2004.

1. First Timer

First Timer Guest

I'm raising a baby jersey bull on bottle. I fed him colostrum for a week. Now I'm feeding him unimilk. Except he has diahrrea (the runs) Is this normal since he is only a 9 days old?

Would you recommend feeding him goat milk?

I've also given him pedialyte to keep him hydrated! What advice do you give me. I am a first timer.!!

2. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

We need to know a little more information before we can give you any help..
    Is he running a temp? Is he still active or just laying around? How much are you feeding and how often? Do his eyes appear to be sunken in?? What color is the poo? Is it real watery??

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

The first thing is you need to go get a quality milk replacer for calves that contains milk proteins, not soy. I've never heard of unimilk, but looked it up and it is soy proteins. Check with the feed store.

After that, we do need more information to help.

Jena

4. He is not running a fever, he is active he will walk sometimes even run around for a while but then eventually he will find a place to lay. His poo is really watery looks yellow. We are feeding him according to the label of the milk 3 pints 3 times a day. When we got him he was only 1 day old the man whom we bought the bull from said to feed him 1st one Packet of colostrum and then start him on milk. thats what we did, except we are worried. Is he supposed to poo that way? Im sorry I may sound a little dumb but we are first timers!

Hopefully you can help! You think Goats milk will do him better?

Poor him is skinny.

5. Paloma

Paloma New Member

bull seems to be feeling better today. After feeding him this afternoon he was up and running wanting to play with our dog! He still made a watery poo, it was yellow/green no blood his teperature seems to be normal. What do you think can be causing the diahrrea? He is a little on the skinny side he is only 8-9 days old. When we feed him he seems to want more! Should we be feeding him more? right now we are feeding him 3pints 3 times a day. In the afternoon when it is very hot we'll feed him some Pedialyte to make sure he is hydrated. By the way can he drink plain water should we keep water out for him or should we feed it to him in a bottle??? How long until we can feed him grain??

6. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

If I were you I would give him access to grain and he will get curious..As for the water put a bucket out for him he will figure it out... You could be overfeeding him just a bit and that i causing some of the scouring...