Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have Jasmine and my neighbor has her sister Mocha.... We currently allow puppy play dates with them because they on the same vaccination schedule and from the same litter with no other exposure to ANY dogs at this point.... nice and safe....

Someone mentioned that it wasn't good to let siblings play together after I think 9 weeks because they will bond with each other instead of their families... does that apply even if they have been with their families for almost 2 weeks and they aren't LIVING together 24/7?

We only let them play for about 2-3 hours a day, 3-4 days a week..... really wears them out and they seem very happy to see another "dog".... I thought it was a good idea because they still get that "play therapy" (bite inhibition, rough housing, etc)

What do you think?

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
My puppies are always kept together except for at feeding and sleep time....then they go in thier own crate. My puppies do not go to thier new homes until 10-12 wks old, and the ones that remain that I am growning out are kept together until about 4 months old- at that age if I start to notice someone is being a bully or someone is being picked on, then I make adjustments by moving the bully(s) in with an adult who will teach them thier manners...sometimes mom, sometimes someone else. I'll try them with different dogs to get the best match. But usually I will have a couple that get along fine together and will stay together until either one is rehomed or if they are ***** and dog- the ***** is ready to come into season. Then after the season is over, they can go back with thier buddy. I don't have any issues with the pups bonding to each other so tightly that they cannot be separated or that they cannot bond with people. I really think that people who beleive that to be the case is not providing enough one on one attention to each pup.
So yes...let the pups play thier hearts out :) You should also be socializing them with strange dogs and adults.

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should also be socializing them with strange dogs and adults.
We were told we weren't supposed to expose them to ANY other dogs until they complete their shot series..... is this correct? We have a wonderful dog park that we can take them to when they are ready.....

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
You should be socializing them with known *healthy* adults and other pups. Your friends' dogs, a well run obedience class, etc. Do not go to dog parks or pet stores as you have no idea what other dogs have been there and what they might have been carrying. You only get a few short weeks in which to make the biggest impact with socialization. If you wait until they have finished their puppy shots, the window for best socialization is pretty well closing (you can still socialize a dog after that time, but it is not nearly as easy).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts