Siberian Huskys

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by dragonfly1113, Dec 14, 2006.

1. dragonfly1113

dragonfly1113 Well-Known Member

Do any of you own or have owned a siberian husky? I have one and want to talk to others who have experience with this breed.
    Susie

2. BusyBees2

BusyBees2 Well-Known Member

Here, Here!

It is an experience, isn't it?! lol

My husky, Koda, will be 1 on Dec. 20. He's weighing in at 70#, and is still very much a puppy. He's still unreliable in the house from a potting training stand point...I figure it will come in time. He doesn't like to tell me beforehand!

He loves to destroy any- and everything. He's now got a large tree branch on the deck, a popped large tennis ball, and a rope bone he will no longer touch. Oh, and he's recently chewed off the covering to a softball...Did you know that softballs are made out of cork? I didn't...until now.

His favorite pastime is chasing squirrels, however we don't yet have a fenced yard, so my shoulders are suffering for it!

So, Susie, tell me about yours!

3. BusyBees2

Here's Koda (I hope) (sorry it's big...am not that computer literate. DH does all the photo things)

[​IMG]

4. dragonfly1113

Does your Koda have blue eyes? Well my Husky's name is Myshka. shestubborn, has a mind of her own. Does what she wants. I love her but I will never own another one. She destroys everything in the yard. So I have to divide my back yard with a electric fence (made for dogs) She stays on one side and everything of importance is on the other. Last year I let her run on both sides and she was pulling up my peach tree that I had planted in the spring (she did this in the winter) She killed some of my chickens that got out of their pens. So I put her on the far side with plenty of room to run. The only time I really have a problem with her getting out is when she comes into heat. Then she will break the fence and has chewed through wire to get out. But so far she has not been bred. Oh, Myshka looks like your dog but has brown eyes. Myshka will kill any small animal that gets into the back yard. Cats, birds, rabbits, squirrels, opossoms, and recently a big ground hog. She is food aggressive so my little dog better not go near her food. She is a dominant (sp) female. When I first got her I thought about breeding her but then decided not to. People (like me) think... Oh how cute. I just didnt want to bring puppies into the world and then them get mistreated or sent to pounds because people cant handle them. I still havent gotten her fixed yet. she has papers and she is 2 now. I have thought about giving her away but I am picky about where she would be. She has never been caged in a kennel and most people would want to do that. She has to have a fenced in yard to run in. So it would be very hard to find her a new home. I love her enough that I would rather keep her than to see her either mistreated or caged. I love how she howls (doubt the neighbors like it in the middle of the night) When I am cooking she will jump up and look into the kitchen window and howl at me. She is so hyper. She was running around the yard two days ago with something hanging out of her mouth and I was like myshka what do you have in your mouth. She came bouncing over and it was bunny ears hanging out each side of her mouth. She catches mice too.
    Do you have problems with yours killing things?

5. dragonfly1113

I dont think Myshka would use the bathroom inside. I put her in a building once when she was in heat and had gotten out of our fenced yard and she would not use the bathroom inside the building. When I let her out to run each day she would start pooping and peeing all over the yard. None inside.

6. BusyBees2

we don't have the fenced yard yet, so Koda is only out on a leash. So, no, we haven't killed anything YET! But he will someday soon have a fenced yard, so I expect at the least we'll have fewer squirrels! I don't really feel for the loose cats that move through our yard...they better watch out!

I rather expect he'll be digging for moles/voles in the spring though...DH will have a cow when that happens and Koda digs into his new grass! Will have to deal with that as it comes.

I respect your decision to keep yours before placing her in a less than desireable situation. There's a young 20-something that visits across the street that has just gotten a puppy. When he first asked my opinion, I told him he was nuts! Every time he mentions it, I tell he's nuts. But so far, I guess the puppy is still real cute and maliable. Not 70# and pulling you around the block! Hope it goes well.

Do you have a picture of Myshka? Would love to see her. Koda does have the blue eyes, which go red in pictures!

7. BusyBees2

what do you feed myshka? see my post: "is there a natural additive..."

8. dragonfly1113

Myshka digs holes everywhere. She also brings moles onto the back porch. A fenced area is a must. When you do fence in your yard, you need to make sure that he cant did under. We bought an electric fence for dogs and ran it all along the bottom of the fence. I dont turn it on all the time. She has dug under the wooden fence and broke part of it off. Myshka has also chewed through wire that was in the ground at the bottom of the fence. She wanted out bad. She was in heat every time. As soon as we get our truck fixed she is going to the vet to be fixed. It has to be before Feb cause thats when she is due in again. I will see if I can post a picture. The pictures that I have, she was shedding her winter coat so she looks nappy. lol If I cant get the picture on here I will ask my daughter when she gets home if she can figure it out. lol

9. dragonfly1113

I feed her pedigree

10. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

We have a husky. Like you, we love her dearly, but would probably never get another. Here are a couple pics of her this summer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My fiance found her as a stray on the streets of Baltimore when she was about 6 mos old. She had been living by her wits in a public park, and was brown from head to tail and covered in mats, and skinny. He couldn't even tell she was a husky until she was living with him for about 3 months.

She is now 9 years old, and a joy (mostly). She had some aggression problems as a pup that he trained her out of, and now you can pick her up and hold her like a baby and carry her around and she'll be perfectly still. She was always a houdini. When she was 3 or 4, we used to take her to a dog park, and we had problems with her climbing the 8' tall chain link fence and running away if we turned our back on her for a minute. The only thing that solved that problem was an electric collar, cranked almost all the way up. She has also escaped by digging under fences, jumping fences, squeezing out through a 6 inch gap between an iron gate and concrete floor, squeezing through wooden porch rails, chewing through tie-outs, and even chewing the collar off her neck to escape a chain tie-out. She lives in the house with us, so it's not like she even has many chances to escape, but she made the most of them.

She is also a spite pee-er. If she's mad that she's not getting enough attention, she has been known to pee on the floor right there in front of you, or sneak off and pee. She is also still somewhat destructive. In the past few months, she has demolished my brand new feather duster and a decorative wheat sheaf with sentimental value. She is a sneak and will steal food from the other dogs, or treats off the counter, if she thinks we're not watching.

Ugh, and did I forget to mention SHEDDING!?!?!

She will kill any small animal she gets a chance at, but she gets very few chances. On the good side, she's a great mouser, and she seems to have gotten rid of the squirrel problem in our house. She's great with dogs and people, though.

She is exceptionally healthy--at 9 years old, most people still think she's a puppy (if only they knew how she acted as a puppy! :rolleyes: ). She is active and playful. She can still jump 4' high easily, but over that is getting to be hit or miss. She's still a good jogging buddy.

The good news is that she has become much more reasonable with age. At this point, we can let her out to pee in the yard, and know that she'll come right back if we call her. When we go to my fiance's parents' 50 acre property, we can actually let her run loose all day (there are no near neighbors with livestock), and she stays close to the house because she doesn't want to be abandoned.

She is funny, sweet, silly, playful, and adorable. She loves to jump up in the air and twirl around when she catches a ball--very acrobatic. She also loves tug-o-war, and play wrestling. Sometimes she still gets so worked up that she dashes around the house grinning and barking with her butt tucked under. She knows a bunch of tricks, too. She walks nicely on the leash, mostly. We love our little clown.

I would NOT breed a husky unless you were a serious working or show breeder. These dogs are TOO MUCH for most people. Just too much. I'd hurry up and get that girl spayed, considering how good these munchkins are at escaping--I can't even imagine what they'd be like in heat, and that doesn't even consider all of the things the sex-crazed male dogs will do to get to HER. There have been many accidental litters posted on this board alone because of things like that. It only takes a minute.

I'm SO glad to have her, and she brings us a ton of joy and fun, and we love her to bits, but I'm in no hurry to repeat the experience. One of our other dogs is a Doberman (mix?), and we'll probably be looking for another dobie mix next time, whenever that is.

11. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't have one, but living vicariously through all the gorgeous pics!

Had somebody try to trade me a husky pup for a kitten awhile back... SO glad I knew what handfuls they were!

12. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

They're lovely dogs and I *will* own another someday. My Nika was stolen from a petsitter 7 years ago thanksgiving weekend- he was my first dog and a really wonderful one. That said, they're smart, easily bored, prey-driven, destructive, not terribly interested in being obedient, and NEED a job. :p Oh, and they shed. Copiously.

13. dragonfly1113

I will post a picture of Myshka as soon as my daughter can get me some on the computer. The ones I have of her are horrible. She was shedding really bad and looked ratty. No matter how much we "tried" to brush her she looked like a wild dog. when we brush her she jumps around playing tucking her butt and running. I wondered if other huskys tucked their butts and I saw that hisenthlay said hers did that too.

14. majic99

majic99 Well-Known Member

I had a husky who passed away earlier this year. I really didn't notice any more behavior problems with him than any other bbreed I've ever had. He was obedince trained young and was treated consistenly. The main reson I would not get another(on purpose)is"NO MORE FURRY DOGS!!!"

15. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

I hope this isn't a terribly inappropriate place to post this, but, if anyone is interested, my son has a year old, akc registered, female, white husky he's willing to give away. She has one blue eye and one brown eye, and her papers are open.
    Sadly, my Son and his wife have discovered that pet ownership means responsibility and they are not up to that responsibility yet. (Although I commend them for having the sense to admit it.) They'd like her to go to someone who is familiar with the breed.
    Thanks, and again, forgive me if this was not an appropriate place to post this, but seeing husky lovers just made me want to post it here. :)

16. dragonfly1113

lol Sometimes I want to get rid of my husky too. I probably would if I knew she would have a good home.
    I got up this morning and started making coffee and looked out my kitchen window and Myshka had a dead opossom in her mouth prancing around the yard like she had a trophy. Ewww. those things are nasty. You would think I lived in the country already with all these wild animals coming into my yard. She kills them every time.

17. Cashs Cowgirl

Cashs Cowgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I loved my husky...she was beautiful and quite independent. She loved to move and loved to sing. She was taken from us last October; we don't know who, we don't know where she went...that's the worst. I didn't know that this pic would be the absolute last I would take of her.
    [​IMG]

18. hisenthlay

I'm so sorry to hear about your husky, majic. I remember being surprised by how calm and well-behaved he was, considering our nutty Lola. You must've done a really great job with him.

We've decided on "no more furry dogs" too, or at least no more double-coated dogs in the house--our dobie has spoiled us by showing us how much easier it is to live with a short coated dog.

19. hisenthlay

Cashscowgirl and Corgitails, I'm sorry to hear about your losses, too. It's such a terrible thing not to know what happened to your dog like that. In a way, I wouldn't be surprised if Huskies are the victims of this more than many other breeds, because everyone thinks they're so beautiful--and that includes a lot of not so nice people who wouldn't think twice about just taking something if they wanted it.

A young hood looking guy almost stole my dogs once, I believe--I had tied them to a lamp post in an alley while I ran into a store for just a few minutes to run an errand. I came back almost immediately, and saw this guy walking down the alley toward my dogs, looking over his shoulder, then taking a few more steps, then looking over his shoulder again. I watched him for a few seconds doing this, and I could tell that the joke was going to be on him if he tried, because my dobie didn't like the way he was acting, and she probably would've taken a good chunk out of him if he had touched her or my other dog that was tied there. I didn't wait to see, though--I walked right past him and to my dogs, and he turned around quickly and walked away.

What's this world coming to, anyway? :flame:

20. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a 6 year old male that was given to my by my nephew. We got him when he was almost 5 mos old and he had been living in the woods behind my sister's house. My nephew bought him as a puppy but didn't know how to socialize him. He ended up tying him out on a cable and Majic chewed through it and refused to come to any of them after that. They had to catch him a live trap to bring him to me. He has come a long way since then. He is housebroken but prefers to be outside. He doesn't roam the way most huskies do. He is not confined to a pen but is always somewhere on the property. He does kill things so I have to keep chickens, goats and monkeys confined. He doesn't chase and kill squirrels too much but has killed a few chickens back before we had a roof on the chicken pen. He has also had a monkey in his mouth but we were able to get her away from him before any damage was done. I realize he is not as bad as some but I doubt I ever would have another one. He is a beautiful dog though and that is probably the only thing that saved his butt when he had the monkey in his mouth!

Sherry in GA