shy buck?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by dugan, Sep 27, 2004.

1. dugan

dugan Well-Known Member

i put a doe in with buck she fought so i took her out. latter that day tried a different doe who wanted to mate but the buck ran to a conner and would have nothing to do with her .will this buck ever breed again. never had trouble with him before .he is over 1 year old is there any thing i can do.i never had this happen before.

2. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Check him over very carefully! The first doe may have injured him. Be sure to check his genitals... does have been known to literally castrate a buck when they don't want to be bothered.

If he appears to be in good condition without any injuries, then, the doe merely intimidated him. Give him some time. I had this happen to my most aggressive buck, and as far as I could tell, she only growled at him! Sure would like to know what she said to him! He was never the same after that, and it was some time before he would even try to breed, again.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/

3. dugan

dugan Well-Known Member

thanks pat,i checked him ,he bled a little overnight i think he got bit in sack area but seems to be intact. how long should i wait before trying him again or should i cull him

4. Pat Lamar

Awww... that's bad news. Since he was injured, the chances of his ever wanting to breed are extremely small. I once had a buck who had been injured... doe had literally taken a chunk out of the underside of the curl on his penis. Instead of trying to breed or even shying away from a doe, he would literally try to kill any doe I put in his cage. Since he was otherwise a very tame and friendly buck, I sold him as a pet with instructions to *never* try to breed him.

Pat Lamar
    President

5. dugan

dugan Well-Known Member

i rechecked buck and found he was bitten just above his tail on his rump and his sack was not bitten.he is still scared ,when i open cage door he goes in corner and tightens up.is there any chance he will get over this trauma given time.he has been a very good buck or i would not bother. thanks .

6. Pat Lamar

Anything is possible, of course, and the only way to know for sure is to try him from time to time. Judging from his present behavior, though, I honestly doubt that he will overcome this obviously traumatic experience. Meanwhile, he continues to eat and decrease your chances for profit by not producing. The choice is yours. I don't mean to sound cold, here... just pointing out some facts. Afterall, this forum is named "Raising Rabbits For Profit," eh?

Pat Lamar
    President

7. dugan

dugan Well-Known Member

i am just fooling myself,thanks pat i found a 3yr.old buck to buy until my jr bucks are ready to breed. made mistake of culling my two sr bucks beforethis happened and not waiting until jr bucks were ready.as for your advise it wasto the point and not sugar coated,i knew it would be and that is why i asked you. i am a small meat breeder who believes the knowledge of the large breeder is a valueble resource for anyone keeping rabbits for any reason.i raised rabbits off and on most of my life to sell and eat and still i have learned alot from this forum. thanks for your advise pat

8. Pat Lamar

Thank you for the compliments! Just so you and others know... I wasn't above having a few "free-loaders," myself, though, heheheh. My one buck who had been intimidated sat and ate for over a month before he would even try to breed, again, but I valued him and was willing to wait it out. And, as I had noted in a previous post... the buck that had been injured was sold as a pet, so he also wasn't a total loss. We also had a few hard working favorite does who my hubby refused to cull when they were past production, so they went into retirement. Some, I was able to eventually sell off as pets. And, we almost always had a useless barn or yard bunny around as a mascot.

When I had to get out of rabbits, I hit it lucky.... sold my breeders, etc., and the old retirees? I received a request from a vet wanting to do a seminar on spaying and neutering rabbits, which would then be re-homed to the students! And I was paid for them, too! 100 rabbits... I had to scrounge some up from other local breeders, too. Seems they all had retired pet bunns, too.

Pat Lamar
    President