Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m a new owner to a home that has well water (first time for me) and I want to winterize my hose line. How can I shut off the water to bleed the water out of the line without burning out my pump or getting air in the line? I have a shut off valve that looks to be after the pump. Can I simply turn this to off and then open my hose line?
I also have a whole house filter and water softener that is after the water shut off valve.

Thanks!

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
7,210 Posts
When you say 'hose line' are you talking about a garden hose?

Coming from your well pump should be a pipe, buried deep in the ground, going to your house. That pipe should be well below the frost-line. In my area the frost-line is 4 foot, so all pipes must be buried 4 feet deep [or deeper].

·
Premium Member
18,378 Posts
We live in Minnesota and are on well water. All we do is turn off the spigots on the outside of the house (they are usually off anyhow). Then, disconnect, drain, and roll up the garden hoses and store them away for the winter.

(I have this feeling I don't understand your question.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my area, all garden hoses will freeze in winter.

Also the cold temps make the rubber stiff. So I must coil them and put them into storage while they are still bendable. Once they stiffen, if I try to coil them, they will break.
Yes, I will disconnect the hose but I want to drain the water from the hose spout. I am trying to bleed the water without burning out my well pump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We live in Minnesota and are on well water. All we do is turn off the spigots on the outside of the house (they are usually off anyhow). Then, disconnect, drain and roll up the garden hoses and store them away for the winter.

(I have this feeling I don't understand your question.)
Thanks, Cabinfever. So you don’t have to get the water out of the pipes? I always was told to do this as a precaution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have faucets on the outside of our foundation. These have isolation valves inside with drains. Before Winter hits, I isolate these faucets and drain the pipes.
Yes! Thank you, the outdoor faucets. I can’t seem to locate any valves inside so I was going down the route of shutting off my main water but it doesn’t seem right. Hmm.. is it possible I don’t have isolation valves inside?

I also have an outdoor sink and would need to do the same.

·
Premium Member
18,378 Posts
In older homes, you might have a water shut-off valve just inside the house adjacent to the outdoor spigot (top drawing). In the case, you close the indoor valve and open the outdoor spigot to allow the water to drain out. It's a good idea to also open that knurled cap on the indoor valve to allow more water to drain out.

·
Banned
17,215 Posts
They make little caps find it kind a look like a Styrofoam cup that you could put over outdoor Spicket's to help keep them from freezing.
A friend of mine uses great stuff to foam them in the place and get a perfect seal he then spray is the rest of the can around it making it super insulated and making it appear like a gigantic boil on the side of the house

·
Registered
938 Posts
if you have any doubt about what you have, I would advise you hire a local plumber or someone in the trade, to come out and give you a 1 time walk around to explain what you have and either have them to do it or tell you how to do it, and most important pay attention to what they do. In the dead of winter is NOT the time to second guess what you did wrong, the repairs and down time will be big $$$ then for repairs. JMO

·
Banned
16,491 Posts
I’m a new owner to a home that has well water (first time for me) and I want to winterize my hose line. How can I shut off the water to bleed the water out of the line without burning out my pump or getting air in the line? I have a shut off valve that looks to be after the pump. Can I simply turn this to off and then open my hose line?
I also have a whole house filter and water softener that is after the water shut off valve.

Thanks!
I usually shut off the pump at the breaker box when I do it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.