Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH is in the hospital with what may have been a minor heart attack (and the car keys are in his pocket, to add insult to injury). He's been there since roughly 2:45 AM, and it took them until a bit after noon to get him out of the ER and into the bed.

I've definitely learned the lesson of the value of a Go Bag. I've never packed any because we're not likely to have any emergencies that require us to relocate - or so I thought.

But at least I have all of our stored food and things, so the fact that I can't go anywhere doesn't matter too much. Good thing, too, cos there's a winter storm watch on for tomorrow.

I guess the moral of the story here is that generic preparedness is a very good thing, but the emergency you get is not necessarily the one you were expecting. Now I just have to figure out how we're going to get DH home tomorrow if they decide to release him and we're having a raging blizzard.

·
This is my life
3,869 Posts
I am sorry you are going through this, and hope your DH is ok. Do you have friends that can take you to him tonight even if it means staying the night at the hospital?

I have been through that twice and put my dh through it many more so I know it is going to be a long night

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Oh my....prayers for your hubby!

Thankfully you are better prepared than most people when any kind of emergency strikes.

I hope he's better soon. Be careful driving in the winter weather if it happens. And keep us updated....

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sorry you are going through this, and hope your DH is ok. Do you have friends that can take you to him tonight even if it means staying the night at the hospital?

I have been through that twice and put my dh through it many more so I know it is going to be a long night
I have a friend who came and brought her small son to play with my small son and who watched them both while I did my outdoor chores, but she doesn't have sufficient carseats for both my son and hers. :( She is making a run over to the hospital and back for me, though, bringing DH some stuff he needs and bringing me back the car keys.

Wow, you've been through this numerous times? Ouch.

Yeah, it's going to be a long nervous night. I think I might sleep, though, just cos I lost so much sleep last night.

Worst of this is, my father had a bad heart the whole time I was growing up, and had a heart attack and died when I was just short of sixteen.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Of course you are worried, but in additon to your concern and love of family keep in mind:

He is where he needs to be to get the best help.

Your friend is fixing the car key problem for you

You are at home with your preps and will not need to risk going out in bad weather over a loaf of bread.

I am not saying your worries or concerns are out of place, but take a few moments to look at the whole picture. You have worked hard to be prepared, and now is the time to enjoy the fruit of your labors.

You have done well. Pray for family, and give thanks for the work you have put in place.

·
Pragmatist
2,092 Posts
the emergency you get is not necessarily the one you were expecting.

That is wisdom right there. And something to really chew on for a while.

Hang in there, ailsaek.

I hope your DH is doing better.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Best wishes for your Hubby's quick and good recovery. Good to see that you're okay staying put, and taking care of things at home.

I hope you get some sleep tonight.

Angie

·
Uber Tuber
6,287 Posts
You need to get duplicate keys made. You should each have a set, and a spare set in your BOB. When our kids got their learners permits, I gave them each copies of all of our car keys, even if they couldn't drive the car. Came in handy too. Once I locked my keys in the car at Home Depot. I called son, and he came straight over and let me into my car. I have copies of their keys too, and have had to loan my son keys to his own car on several occasions.

I will pray that your DH makes a full recovery!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've definitely learned the lesson of the value of a Go Bag. I've never packed any because we're not likely to have any emergencies that require us to relocate - or so I thought.

I guess the moral of the story here is that generic preparedness is a very good thing, but the emergency you get is not necessarily the one you were expecting.
Some wonderful advice.....I have learned along with you.
I, too, sit and wait for a storm to roll in, or the truck to break down....not even thinking about expecting a 'different' kind of emergency.....:bash:
Hope your DH fares well, and he gets home safe.
(I lurk here 99% of the time......I have learned so much from everyone over time!)

·
No charge for awesomeness
1,181 Posts
The week between Christmas and New Years, 2004, I was in your Hubby's dilemma. I had the car and keys at work, and out of nowhere I felt like my sternum was being cracked in half from the inside. I know EXACTLY what you and your Hubby are going thru and will go thru for the next few months. What I will tell you is he will be fixed and will be fine, whether it's stent placement or bypass surgery. It's going to take a while though. You are going to have to adapt to a massive lifestyle change if you want to keep your Hubby around for lots more years and not bury him.
There goes all the fats from your diet .... no more fatty fried foods, no more cooking fats (healthy oils only now), no more butter or tubs of margarine !!!Period !! No exceptions. The binders that hold the margarine together in the tubs and sticks become like goopy super-glue when you eat them and they MASSIVELY contribute to arterial heart problems because they stick to the inside of the arteries helping everything else to stick to them and close the artery. Tubs and Stick margarine is deadly health wise if you worry about heart problems.
Then there is now a lifetime of medicines he will have to take to keep everything flowing and working right. Those meds will help keep your Hubby alive for years to come ...if he stops the meds .....I'm sure you can figure out the end result.
Now your Hubby has an excuse to get on that exercise equipment so he can stay fit, healthy and enjoy life into an old age.
Ohio Rusty ><>

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We just got back from DH's follow-up visit to the doctor. Things are looking pretty good.

At the hospital, the doctors there told him to get his reflux looked into, because if the first thing he thought when he woke up in pain was "reflux" not "heart attack," then it's bad enough to have it looked at. His doctor put him on Prilosec until he sees him next (i.e. five weeks from now) and he had a CAT scan that we'll get the interpretation of later. DH is really hoping that this CAT scan is enough, because the next step if this doesn't work is a dye-injected CAT scan, which uses an isotope of iodine, and DH is violently allergic to iodine.

His episode has been officially diagnosed as Angina Pectoralis instead of a heart attack, and he's been told to eat sensibly, exercise, and if it ever happens again, do just what he did this time and call an ambulance. They'd much rather have people call an ambulance and turn out to be OK than not call an ambulance and turn out to have needed one.

Oh, Ohio Rusty, we're planning on going on a lot more walks and working toward getting back in shape for real hiking like we used to do back before DS was born. And no butter or tubs of margarine around here anyway - corn oil margarine, olive oil and canola oil only! I've told him we'll be eating a lot less cheese, though.

·
Hate Oz. Took the shoes.
2,080 Posts
We just got back from DH's follow-up visit to the doctor. Things are looking pretty good.

At the hospital, the doctors there told him to get his reflux looked into, because if the first thing he thought when he woke up in pain was "reflux" not "heart attack," then it's bad enough to have it looked at. His doctor put him on Prilosec until he sees him next (i.e. five weeks from now) and he had a CAT scan that we'll get the interpretation of later. DH is really hoping that this CAT scan is enough, because the next step if this doesn't work is a dye-injected CAT scan, which uses an isotope of iodine, and DH is violently allergic to iodine.

His episode has been officially diagnosed as Angina Pectoralis instead of a heart attack, and he's been told to eat sensibly, exercise, and if it ever happens again, do just what he did this time and call an ambulance. They'd much rather have people call an ambulance and turn out to be OK than not call an ambulance and turn out to have needed one.

Oh, Ohio Rusty, we're planning on going on a lot more walks and working toward getting back in shape for real hiking like we used to do back before DS was born. And no butter or tubs of margarine around here anyway - corn oil margarine, olive oil and canola oil only! I've told him we'll be eating a lot less cheese, though.
My husband's cousin (and best friend) was told for four years he had reflux. Now that it is too late, we think it was his heart and never reflux. We miss him terribly.

So glad your dh is better. Please keep an eye on this. Did they run blood tests at the hospital? If not, then if it ever happens again, have them do so. After we lost dh cousin we were told that the only way to be sure it isn't a heart attack is to have blood tests run - EKGs and CATs don't always catch a heart attack and if the blood is taken too soon it can miss a heart attack, too.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My husband's cousin (and best friend) was told for four years he had reflux. Now that it is too late, we think it was his heart and never reflux. We miss him terribly.

So glad your dh is better. Please keep an eye on this. Did they run blood tests at the hospital? If not, then if it ever happens again, have them do so. After we lost dh cousin we were told that the only way to be sure it isn't a heart attack is to have blood tests run - EKGs and CATs don't always catch a heart attack and if the blood is taken too soon it can miss a heart attack, too.
I definitely plan on watching him carefully. Like I said, this is what killed my dad. I've put DH on notice that he is not permitted to predecease me.

The did blood tests when he woke up the next morning, and then repeated them the morning after that, as well as doing a stress test. I'm all in favor of DH taking stuff for reflux, because he does have a very tetchy digestive system, but I'm not convinced that this is the full explanation, and I'm also pushing him to get a sleep study done as well.

Getting older feels really weird. Wasn't I 25 just yesterday?

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
First things first=2 sets of car keys.

I have been through this sort of thing 2 times in the past 4 years. The first time is a real educational experience. Some parts are amusing after the fact, but this is real serious.

DW and myself had some long talks and made some prudent plans, which did include 2 sets of keys for all vehicles. A power of attorney, giving her the right to take care of my business. This document is recorded at the local court house, so anyone can prove that it exists and read it if needed.

Cash may be needed quickly. It is good to have an account where one can get cash, an ATM card, or cash on hand. Each person is different on this issue we do a bit of each.

Diet is going to be a big issue. We can all do a lot to improve on this. Walking and other activity is good as well. We have devoted a lot of effort in our gardening. The idea is to be able to grow a lot of salads on a regular basis. Fresh, low mileage food is a plus.

Networking is or can be important. It is very good to have other people who you can depend on if needed. Sometimes it is just better to have someone else drive you where you need to go, so you can regroup. Upon arriving at my third hospital in the same day DW arrived very shortly, being driven there by a sheriff's deputy (off duty). That was at Ohio State, Ross Heart Hospital which is about 75 miles from home. The deputy was still in uniform having just gotten off work, and they just walked right in, no problem.

Assume that the best is yet to come, but plan for the worst. Life is good (compared to the alternative).

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
Tell your husband not to worry about the dye injected scan - I am violently allergic to iodine dyes also but I have had this test myself and they used a special one without the iodine dyes PLUS had me take a big round of prednisone the night before and Benedryl just in case. I was fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts