Shrimp Farm Final Update

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cowgirlone, Jan 9, 2004.

1. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Well, I had meant to give you an update before now, but due to bad luck? I have lost some of my final pictures. I don't post pictures often enough to know what in the heck I'm doing, please bare with me! :eek:

In May I stocked my small pond with freshwater shrimp (macrobrachium rosenbergii) juveniles, (60 day old). They have to breed in salt water, but when the babies reach post-larvae stage, they can be grown out in fresh water.
    I chose the macrobracium over others due to the location of the nursery (Ft.Worth). This was close enough for me to pick them up myself and save on delivery fees.

Here is a picture of a 60 day old juvenile (sorry for the picture quality).

[​IMG]

This is a picture of one about 3 1/2 months old
    [​IMG]

A batch caught with crawdad trap
    [/IMG][​IMG]
    Another batch[​IMG]
    And the finished project, Gumbo!
    [/IMG][​IMG]

I fed a 32% protein sinking catfish feed.
    Due to warm weather I was able to harvest through the second week in October. I mainly did this to see IF shrimp would thrive here in Oklahoma. The main downfalls I had were, three turtles in the pond at the beginning of the project, the pond I used was uneven on the bottom making it difficult to use the seine for harvest. My crawdad trap worked great, but I needed more than one trap. Of the 1,000 I stocked I harvested around 700. They were small, meduim and large. Beginning in September I harvested the larger ones and threw the small ones back to grow more.
    Over all, the project was a success, I plan on doing it again next spring.

2. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

Cowgirlone...Your idea sounds so interesting. What size was your pond for the 1000 you bought? We are in NY, probably too cold :waa: :confused: Joan

3. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

Excellent . . . it does sound like your experiment was a success. Are you planning on selling your harvest to a restaurant, a fish market or are you going to keep them for yourself? They look rather tasty - I'm sure your neighbors have been casting a few hopeful glances your way. :)

I meant to ask you about how it went - I imagine in Oklahoma right now, conditions are a little cool to begin next years crop, yes? Thank you for the update.

4. cowgirlone

Farmmaid the pond is really small, between 1/8th and 1/4 of an acre.

J.R. you're right, the neighbors that know about it are REAL interested :haha:
    I have shared with friends and family. I didn't sell any this year, if I do decide to next year, I will need to get a permit. It varies by state, but I was told that a permit for Oklahoma would run around $50.. I need to check into it.

The weather is too cold to get started for next year, I plan on purchasing juveniles again and stocking the middle to end of May depending on the water temperature. If I really get into this, I might consider raising my own, but that would mean keeping brood stock through the winter. I have the outbuildings to do it, I'm just not sure if I want to....right now, buying the juveniles is the easy way to go. :D

5. Homesteader

Homesteader Well-Known Member

Wow - that is so wonderful. What an accomplishment!

6. Buffy in Dallas

Buffy in Dallas Well-Known Member Supporter

What are their temperature needs? Any way you could keep the pond warm enough to over winter them? It's probably warm enough here in texas. I hope. Sounds like a fun and yummy project!

7. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Would there be anyway to get a large fish tank or medium water tank and store it indoors, heated, to have your own breading stock? Could you, end up with some as large a lobsters?
    lacyj

8. slkirky

slkirky Member

Cowgirl, thanks for taking the time to share this with us all. I do have one question, how did you process them? I have never dealt with live shrimp, when you trap them...um, then what? What I mean is, how do you kill them and prepare them for use? I know how to clean the shrimp I have bought at the store, but it is already dead and headless... requiring only removal of the shell with legs and cleaning out the sand vein. Would love to know how the processing went for you.

Thanks,
    Stephanie

9. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Stephanie;

To "process" a shrimp all you do is snap off his head with your thumbnail. Grab him around the body with his head sticking out between your thumb and forefinger, snap off his head. The head contains all his bodily organs--the tail is all meat. When I was a kid down on the coast we did not even bother to de-vein shrimp. That is a sissyfied notion that began in the 50's.
    Ox

10. slkirky

slkirky Member

Thanks ox. I may try a pool of these next year.

Stephanie

11. cowgirlone

Thanks Homesteader!
    Buffy, the water temperature shouldn't go below 65 degrees. My pond freezes over pretty hard during the winter, I don't have a way to keep it warm.

Lacyj, I could keep them in an aquarium over winter. I've been thinking along those lines, they still need the salt water to breed and for the larvae to survive, but that shouldn't be much of a problem. I know people all over have salt water aquariums. I'm thinking hard about it. :D

Stephanie, Ox is right, you just pull there heads off. I did freeze some whole and I boiled up a few batches to freeze. I wanted to try every way I could think of just to see how they tasted afterwards. I purged some of them like live crawdads, let them sit in salt water then flushed them with fresh water. I didn't notice a difference in taste.

It has been interesting raising them, I plan on doing it again this spring. Now if I could figure out a way to raise lobsters :haha: .

12. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

What is the space ratio for them if you raised them in tanks?...Joan :eek:

13. Gayle in LA

Gayle in LA Well-Known Member

Don't throw those heads away, Paul Prudhomme uses them to make seafood stock!!!!!!!!

14. cowgirlone

Hi Joan, according to my research, full grown shrimp need 1 to 2 1/2 square ft each, BUT you can give them more area using substrating. Bird netting or any type of mesh set up horizontally or vertically would work. They do jump so the tanks would have to have a cover of some type, maybe netting would work there as well.

The post larvae to 45 day olds need 1 sq ft per 40 shrimp
    45 to 60 day old---20 per sq ft
    60 to 90 day old---2 per sq ft

The more light they have the more active they are too. If you keep them in the dark for the majority of the time, they won't fight with each other (they are canabalistic)

Gayle, I DO make shrimp stock with the heads and shells! :haha: My Mama always said "waste not, want not." :haha: