Shredding/ Chipping/ Chopping

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by moonwolf, Mar 8, 2005.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Discuss the benefits and how/what you shred to smaller size:

1. What mechanical device or chipper/shredder do you use?

2. What do you shred/chop/chip?

3. What do you use the chips or shreddings for? Compost? Mulch? worms? Animal Bedding? other?

4. Do you collect grass clippings for mulch or compost, and what method do you collect the clippings?

5. If you broadcast the chips or shredded material for mulch or work into the garden, do you add other supplements or 'enhancements' with it?
    :)

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

The only thing we shred is paper. We compost it along with everything green, to include animal bedding. Every once in a while I'll add a pint of worms, however, while digging around to clear some mud and even out areas where errosion has happened, we have discovered, there are millions of worms, this year!!! It was amazing all the different size and the sure number of them.

One thing I will add about using litter from the animals, is you get volunteers. I have never seen a flax plant before, but I have to say, they sure have pretty little blue flowers. But, in my garden isn't where I would really want it to be, since it was uninvited.

All the poo goes in the pile, as well.

3. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

I lived in the suburbs until recently so the chipper shredder was occasionally useful to reduce the volume of waste organic material that I feel it would be wrong to landfill. My favorite time of the year is in the fall when all the anal neighbors would run over their lawns multiple times with riding mowers with baggers to pick up the leaves. In that case they were cutting both leaves and grass in a very nice mixture for composting. On garbage day I would cruise the neighborhood looking for the baxs with mixed chopped leaves and grass. Often the bags would be steaming like a perfect compost pile when I pickedfthem up. With the right planning and scavenging I could get the ideal materials without the effort of chopping them up myself. The work of running a chipper shredder can beome tedious since if the materials are too wet you have to stop and unclog the machine pretty frequently. Personally I wouldn't buy a chipper shredder at full price when I feel I can get most of the mulch materials already processed. Unless of course you're trying to reduce the volume of your own yard waste.

4. lisarichards

lisarichards Well-Known Member

We're still clearing land for pastures. The majority of our 343 acres is heavily wooded, though it used to be sheep pasture 100 years ago. But we use a Chinese-made chipper that works off the back of our Chinese-made tractor. We found them much cheaper than American-made models, and up here in Yankee-land, the stuff that's for sale used is really really really used and very expensive.

But we chip all of the tree branches after the sheepies eat what they want out of it, and mix it with coffee grounds from a local coffee shop. Then let it sit for a couple of years before we mulch with it.

We also shred all of our junk mail, which we also mix into the compost piles.