shredded paper

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marvella, Sep 20, 2005.

1. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i have access to large amounts of shredded paper. i've been using it as animal bedding, on the barn floor, to line nest boxes, to fill in wet spots in the paddock, etc.

anyone know of any reason to NOT do this? it seems to be working pretty well.

2. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

shredded paper is the best kitty litter we have ever used.

3. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

Try and COMPOST it. It will be around for years ! Hear tell it was dug up after 30 yrs. and you could read the lettering.

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Shredded _newspaper_ is great for this type of stuff.

Shredded glossy pages are not very absorbant, and the clay content prevents them from breaking down very fast. Used to be those glossy inks weren't so good for things either, but I believe that has moved in a positive direction over the last decade....

Shredded typing paper is somewhere in between. Soaked in manure, it will break down. But, not as good as the newsprint type stuff.

If you have mixed paper, you get mixed results. :)

--->Paul

5. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

Just about all mobile home manufactureers use shredded recycled newspaper for insulation. It is dumped into a hooper in fifty pound bundles and then a liquid retardent is simultaneously added to it as it is applied to the roofs etc.

6. marvella

it is mixed paper. at home i shred newspapers, and junk mail, along with bills, cc #'s, etc. what i get from work and the offices downtown is copy paper. i don't shredded any glossy paper.

the compost pile is fairly new, hadn't used a whole lot out of it, just adding stuff. so far have not had a problem with anything breaking down. it's just cellulose after all. why do you say it won't compost?

frankly i hadn't worried as much about the compost, as i did my animals health.

7. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't recall any trouble composting this- I used it in my chicken coop and usually had near compost at the bottom of the loose stuff when I shoveled it out every few months (would add more on top in between to keep it dry). Mine was mostly computer paper from a nearby hospital.

8. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Shredded paper -- glossy and otherwise -- composts well, but you have to mix it in or it will clump up. I use it all the time (my solution to all the junk mail that finds its way to my mailbox), and it's an excellent "brown" with all the "greens" I get around here.

Printing inks (color and b/w) are soy-based, so there's no problem there.

Sounds like you have a found a great way to reduce, reuse, recycle!

Pony!

9. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

I have a home office and a kitchen garbage can sized shredder. Ise that in the small animal cages all the time. It's a lot cheaper than buying bedding and I can clean it out more often with out it costing any more. Plus if some idiot wants to try and put the shreds back together to read my account numbers etc. they have to get through the small animal manure.

I look at it as not only recycling but also as another little step toward security! :goodjob:

10. Balancedmom2003

Balancedmom2003 Well-Known Member

I shredd newspapers/ computer papers/ ads & use them in my compost pile/worm bin & as a mulch for my plants in the garden!! :goodjob:

11. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

When my family was raising hogs about 15 years ago, we used to use shredded office paper for bedding. At first we would mix it with straw, then we went to nothing but paper :goodjob: It was much easier to get into the huts and easier on my back! :dance: It also breaks down better than straw and did not plug up the manure spreader either! :nono: We never had any problems with the health of our hogs from using the paper and this was 15+ years ago.

I say, if you can get it for free, go for it!! It keeps it out of the landfill and takes one item off your budget that you have to buy. The only thing I would caution, if you have baby animals, you might not want to use it if the paper is in long strips. The long strips have a tendany to wrap around little feet and trip them. This is not an issue for adult animals has they have (hopefully by now) good balance.

I have been recycling all the office paper here and using it to mulch my garden and add brown matter to my compost pile.

12. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

We use shredded paper (newsprint, office, junk mail, magazines, cereal boxes - you name it I shred it) in the hen house all the time and then shovel it out to the compost heaps. I always wet down the compost when I turn the heaps and it is simple enough to break up any clumps with a jet of water.

13. marvella

thank you!! i've been doing it for a while, and this little fret was always in the back of my mind. glad to know i'm on the right track, even if i stumbled on to it.:)

14. BlueRidge

BlueRidge Well-Known Member

Many inks are made from nasty chemicals that I would not want in my compost. The newer soya based inks are not as good, and more expensive than the petro-chemical based inks, so guess which ones get used the most!