Shredded Paper as Bedding

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Oscar, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Oscar

Oscar Well-Known Member

I have access to an enormous amount of shredded 8x11 paper (NOT NEWSPAPER) and was thinking it would be excellent insulating material for an outdoor rabbit cage-- can anyone tell me whether it is a bad idea to pack this into a cage? Digestive upsets? Any horror stories?

2. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

It gets messy when pood on. Other than that should not be a problem unless it is printed with toxic ink.

3. mountainman_bc

mountainman_bc Well-Known Member

I used it years ago with guinea pigs. It was free, I was a kid... Well they all died of cancer, however guinea pigs may be susceptable to cancer.
    I did find it got wet easy and they did eat a lot of it.

4. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

If you're in an area that freezes it could be difficult to clean the cages. I'd watch closely to be sure the rabbits are eating an adequate amount of their food instead of filling up on paper.

5. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

I have used it a couple of times, the only problem I found is when it gets wet and isn't cleaned out right away it turns into a hard chunk, like Cement, it all sticks to each and every peice. It was very absorbant, but not as clean.

Melissa

6. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

:cowboy:

Plain white paper is coated with silica clay to make it whiter and to act as a binding agent for the ink. Some types of ink can also be toxic, especially to small animals. Newspaper ink is soybean based and the paper is made to decompose quicker. This is why the ink rubs off quicker and tends to make my white rabbits look sooty.

I prefer using straw bedding. It is better for my compost bin or I can put it directly into the garden. A standard bale is $2.50-$5.00 in my area. I have 8 cages and I'm still on my first bale that I got in early October.

There is something I remember seeing somewhere if you have access to a lot of shredded paper. It was an ad for making fireplace logs as a home-based business.

:cowboy: