Showing cattle @ Fairs?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Slev, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyone planning on showing their cattle at the local or state fairs this summer? I was wondering what types of "homework" you might be working on getting them ready for show?

2. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    I may be taking one of my feeder calves this year. I say may because you don't just do "homework" it's an all out intensive preparation, and thats even before you get to the show. What kind of cattle do you plan to show, dairy breeds are a little easier in the grooming department. Feeders also require less feed. If you plan to show a full grown steer be prepared to put 25lbs of feed into him every day. I'm not trying to scare you away it's also alot of fun, but it's just not something you can pick up midstride of fair prep.

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I plan on taking several of mine to the local fair. The only homework to do is work with them, work with any that aren't as good more often, while the ones who lead well, you work with less often. Depending what your showing, depends how you lead them, with beef there isn't any leading backwards, etc. With dairy you lead a bunch of different ways, depending how you want to present the animal. Whether it is two hands backwards, walk forwards with the animal's head held high with your right hand, etc etc. Depends on the animal.

Important thing is their shots, our fair and local clubs require a Triangle-9 and Rabies vaccination. Then a vet certificate saying they are all set.

Jeff

4. lilsassafrass

lilsassafrass Well-Known Member

My aged cows I pull right off of grass about 2 weeks before the first fair mainly so I can up date shots , catch halterbreak their calves worm and vacinate ,get them used to some feed , i have been out brushing the cows out in the pasture all summer.
    my yearling calves i have had on feed in the barn all along , they have had their shots , I have been working with them on the halter , have been rinsing and blow drying since the weather got warm enough ... a little touch up clipping here and there .. sanding horns . and everybody goes on ascymyacin (sp ) in the the week before we leave. we run a string between ten and 15 head when on the fair circuit ... depends on how much work I want .. teh older i get the less I take .. by the time we get to the fall and the highland shows I know which 3 or 4 I want to take on the highland show circuit. and tehy are ready to go ....

Paula
    Hyde Park Farm

5. Suzanne

Suzanne Well-Known Member

My daughter takes a Jersey to the fair in the fall. This year she is taking this springs heifer. Just had her calf-hood vaccinated, I just wormed her. My daughter has been working with walking her, as they have to walk good for both the 4-H and the open Jersey show. We will probably run the clippers on her here the week before the fair, and then touch her up at the fair. But not much work only taking one or two, its a very fun week.

6. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm showing some of our Jerseys at at least one county fair, possibly two. Maybe one mature cow, the rest Senior Yearling down to a five month old.
    I'm gonna start putting a halter on the ornery ones and start walking them. They'll get bathed and clipped before the show, but it is just local, not too many breeders.

7. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Depends on what level you want to participate. Once you find out which fair you are going to call for a rule book/ entry form for needed info, deadlines(very imporrtant) and special requirements. Make sure animals can lead, are use to eating the feed you will have at the show, expose them similiar situations like loud noises, radios, strollers, fans,ect. At the fair it is important to have animals securely tied ( always embarassing to have your knot come loose), someone watching them, fans if hot, and other needed supplies including maybe a vet box of emergency supplies. Some have been on special diets and routines since March for late summer and fall shows. Last year we sent three trailers (two 20' and a 32') full of gear and cattle to our state fair and we still forget stuff and have animals that forget to lead so don't feel bad.