shower base leaking

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by agmantoo, Sep 20, 2006.

1. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

My neighbor has a ceramic tiled shower that is a very old installation. There is a crack in the built in place base and the bathroom floor is wet. Is there a means of repairing this other than ripping the floor of the shower out? TIA

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

If the crack is visilble you could probably use Marine-Tex. Its an epoxy used mainly for boat repairs. Is it possible its leaking around the drain? That could be fixed with silicone sealant

3. YoungOne

YoungOne Well-Known Member

4. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

I just bought a house with a leaky shower. A nail in the floor rusted and pierced the shower pan and rotted out the floor. Now, I have to rip it all out, replace the floor, retile and fix the ceiling in the basement. Not a whole lot of fun...

Not sure if yours might be due to the shower pan, but the only way to fix that is to rip it out.

5. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

You will find lots of info and help at this web site. He walked us through the process of building our tile shower and it is working great. I bet he can help you. He has a forum you can post on.

www.johnbridge.com

6. The Paw

The Paw Well-Known Member

If the crack is in the sill of the base, and water is leaking out of the base, that means one of:

a) your shower pan is probably leaking into the cavity behind the base
    b) the seal between the drain and pan is leaking into the cavity
    c) the drainpipe underneath the pan is cracked and leaking
    d) the water supply line is leaking in the wall, running down underneath the pan and out through the crack.

I think it would probably be (a) or (b). If there are no visible holes in the pan, try sealing where the shower walls meet the floor on all four sides. Also, reset and recaulk the floor drain.

If after doing this, it still leaks, try running the shower into a 5 gallon bucket, so no water hits the floor or drain. if you still get leaking on the floor, then it is probably (d) and you need to open the wall.

If the 5 gallon pail test does not result in a wet floor, then by process of elimination, you are probably at (c), meaning you will need to remove the pan.

That would be my plan of attack....

7. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter