Show us your guard animal

Discussion in 'Guard Animals' started by aleefarms, Dec 2, 2014.

1. prinellie

prinellie Member

I would like to get a dog to guard the chickens which are in a pasture with the 2 jersey cows but the cows, I don't think, will tolerate the dog.... is there any possible way to make this work?? Thanks... :)

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Electric fencing. Our pasture had 3 and four strand electric wire, which kept in our sheep and donkeys. Chickens were not phased. Most dogs would not cross the wire (or the donkeys). Small dogs will jump between wires and are good at avoiding kicks. Portable electric netting offers a second barrier, essentially two fences. Even jumpers are reluctant to jump two fences. The portable electric (3’ tall) has holes large enough for a small chicken to get through, but the taller (4’) poultry netting has smaller holes, which I think also serve to be visually confusing. Raccoons, fox, opossums, all kept out of our electric fenced area. I could even move el netting to our lawn and contain sheep and donkeys and keep dogs out.

3. oldasrocks

oldasrocks Well-Known Member

This one chase me around the house.

Attached Files:

• 301.jpg
      File size:
      58.1 KB
      Views:
    SmokyShadow likes this.
  4. oldasrocks

oldasrocks Well-Known Member

This one guards the dinner plates

Attached Files:

• 238.JPG
      File size:
      137.6 KB
      Views:
    SmokyShadow likes this.
  5. SpringCrkFarmTN

SpringCrkFarmTN Active Member

These are two of the four llamas we use as our sheep guardians. They do an amazing job for us!

6. alidbond

alidbond Active Member

7. topothemountain

topothemountain Well-Known Member

Our search for actual LGDs began after losing a piglet to a bear, poultry to coyotes and various winged predators, and... the final straw... one of my Arabian horses to a cougar. So I read and researched, when finally I did the most sensible thing and just looked around at all the other farms around us at what kind of guardians they had. Bar none, the most used LGDs around us are Great Pyrenees and I had liked what I read about them, so I found a farm that had both parents there, witnessed how they worked and picked up two female puppies (10 weeks old) from them. Later we added a male dog from another farm that helps protect our girls from "unwanted advances" by would-be suitors as well as backup for them.
    Since adding them to the farm we've lost nothing... nothing.. period. Unless you count the guineas that packed up and left on their own. :)
    We'd been told that you shouldn't interact with LGDs in order for them to bond with the animals and not just be pets. Well, I don't know about how others are, but ours bonded with the animals as well as us and guard us all. They are amazing animals and I can't say enough about our beloved Pyrenees. I'll never be without them on the farm again... even if I had no animals to protect, they are gorgeous dogs with wonderful personalities and I just adore them.
    17757484_1082669038544397_7006120171796385866_n.jpg

Mike CHS and MizJones like this.
  8. Mike CHS

Mike CHS Well-Known Member

I posted a picture of our Great Pyrenees quite awhile back but yesterday we brought home an Akbach puppy. We went to the Tennessee Katahdin fall meeting and sale but didn't find any sheep we wanted so the pup made the trip even more worthwhile.

His sire is almost 140 pounds and his dam is 110 pounds so he should be a big boy.

Attached Files:

9. greenTgoats

greenTgoats Well-Known Member